Michael Solis
Michael Solis,
Experience:  Lead Tech at Solis Auto Repair
99786211

I have a 2000 vw Passat v6 it'll start fine but as soon as I

I have a 2000 vw Passat v6 it'll start fine but as soon as I touch the gas it will stall.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: I just got the car so I haven't had a chance to drive it as it will sall if I try to give it gas
JA: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: most of the sensors have been replaced besides for the fuel temp sensor, a new timing belt and replaced the fuel pump and spark plugs
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's all I got

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive world for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

Do you have any trouble codes?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I cant read the computer with my scanner it keeps giving me a linking error
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
do you have any thought on what the error could be

maybe ecm communication problems, does the check engine come on when you do a bulb check key on engine off?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
yeah the light will come on if you would like ill head out there and call you to tell you exactly whats going on
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
if it helps you I don't mind the extra cost

im currently on a call right now, is it ok for you to wait?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
yeah that's fine mate.

ok, thank you.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
just message me when you're ready

will do, taking a while, will let you know when done.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
alright

ok ready.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Alright just call I'm out by the car

I accepted, but was payment failure.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
What about now

Same thing.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Hmm it's all updated and I have money try one mor time

still shows the failure.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
How about now
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I'm sorry this is a pain

we can try to continue without the phone service, would you like that

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Yeah sure sorry it's being a pain
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Here's what the dash looks like with the ignition on

If you have an after market radio, then your obd scan tool wont read. aftermarket radios causes this issue, if you do not have an after market radio, then you need to check fuses because a fuse goes out if the scanner cant read. so either radio, or fuse. If you just want to shoot a dart and see where it lands, then I can give you a shot at the dart board, but can not gurantee that it will work. If you can get me a scan code then we can move forward

Or we can try a few things without one but will hold no gurantees

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I don't have a radio in it and those are my fuses

ok lets try something real quick, disconnect the mass air flow sensor and see how it feels when you push the gas and let me know. Do not attempt to drive it like this, its just to see if it runs better with mass air flow disconnected

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
She lugs at a lower rpm and stalls pretty quick
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Before as long as I don't touch the gas pettal she'd run pretty good it's just as soon as you give it gas it will stall

do you happen to know what the current fuel psi is? have you tride adding an alternative fuel in the intake to see if it runs better?

What is the fuel pressure when you gas it do you know? What about air leaks do you happen to know if any air leaks?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I don't know about the fuel pressure but I can't find any air leaks

if you safely spray carb cleaner around the intake without getting close to spark related items, you might see a sudden change when you do indicating an air leak around the intake.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
A little bit of a jump in rpm but otherwise I only found one odd thing

What did you find odd?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
There's a hornets nest right at the very start of my air intake
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Before the filter right at the bumper

that is odd, but that looks like the exit area of the air induction system, might not be your problem there. clean the mass air flow sensor and reinstall clear out any debris in the air filter right now and if you notice rpm change spraying in a certain area you sprayed, continue to spray to see if the rpm change keeps continuing .

if the rpm change keeps occurring in a certain spot, then you have an air leak

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I'll only get a change if I pretty much spray it directly into the air intake nowhere else

If you tried cleaning mass air flow and air filter, then maybe the fuel pump is going out if your spraying in the intake to get rpms changem but to verify we need to know the fuel pressure

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Is there a way I could check the pressure right now

After this, its all I got as for options for you. If you like me to, I can opt out and maybe another tech has better options, but with no communication to read scan codes, its all I got. Another way without the proper tools, is to squeeze down the return line if its rubber and see if it runs better if it can be done without damaging anything and it runs better, then fuel pump or filter bad. Thats all I have as for options for you. You can either rate me, or I can opt out and let another tech try. What would you like to do?

Fuel injector rail should have return line that might be rubber

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Well thankyou for your help mate

Would you like for me to opt out and let another tech try? Or would you like for me to show my rating so I can get 5 stars?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ill give you five stars I know I didn't have much info to go off of anyway
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Thank you for the help

It was my pleasure answering your question. Now that we have either answered, or somewhat answered the question, I will offer my rating. Please let me know if for some reason you are not satisfied with the results I gave you, let me know because I strive for excellence & a 5 star. If you feel 5 star is not worth it, let me know what else I can do or change. Leaving a bad rating or negative rating only hurts me not the site. So please let me know if there is something I can do for you to earn your 5 star rating. Thank you. Sincerely, Michael.