Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

2005 VW New Beetle convertible; 1.8 turbo. Airbag light came

2005 VW New Beetle convertible; 1.8 turbo. Airbag light came on. Took it to a shop and they see codes 01739 (passenger front crash sensor) and 00532 (low voltage to ???). I replaced the car's battery, although I don't think it was bad. Next, I removed the right side crash sensor. It has only 2 wires. I checked between the pins with an ohm meter - completely open circuited. No ohm reading. Does this mean the sensor is faulty? I am not so concerned as to whether it will deploy the airbag. Rather I want the airbag light to go off. Thanks.
JA: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?
Customer: No that part of the system is fine.
JA: What year is your Convertible?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had a shop reset the light and it stayed off for about 15 miles, but is back on again. Replace the battery, but the voltage readings are only 0.3 volts higher, and the car cranks about the same as before. Removed the passenger side crash sensor and checked it with an ohm meter. Open circuited.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I will replace the sensor if i know it is causing the airbag light to come on, but hate to replace it just to experiment with what is wrong.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

This does mean the sensor is open and should be replaced. There is also a recall on this sensor, so to be honest I would contact VW with your VIN and see if the recall is open, if it's not open, then it's been replaced already and you will have to pay for it, however, if it is open, then they should repair it free for you.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!