Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Well, I have a 2001 Suzuki Vitara 2.0 twin cam. The upper…

Customer Question
Well, hi there. I...

Well, hi there. I have a 2001 Suzuki Vitara 2.0 twin cam. The upper chain guide4 broke off, seated itself in the belt and threw the belt. We repaired everything, including taking the head to machinist. Put it all back together and started driving it. It sounded great, however 3 days later it started making a noise. Upon opening the cover, the upper chain guide has again broken off. So, Pearl, two questions:

Mechanic's Assistant: Which belt is acting up? And when was it last changed?

It is chain driven, was all changed out one week ago an 3 days later, the same guide sheared in the same spot as the old one. 1) What is that upper chain guide designed to do?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Vitara yourself? What have you tried so far?

2) Can we leave that guide off without any repercussion?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, my boyfriend is a certified ASE mechanic and has been for over thirty years.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Car
9/22/2017
Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago
eric remington

hi eric here does it have a hydraulic tensioner?

sorry, I had to leave for an appointment. I'm back now. Let me find out Eric. Get right back to you....
Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

I​ looked it up it does have hydraulic tensioner...did you put a new one in?. is oil pressure at specs?. I'm wondering if there was not enough tension on the chain and it was slapping against the guide it might have been noisy....this is a theory as this is an unusual scenario. but it should be checked into as a possibility...give me some history why was first chain replaced? same reason? how long did it take to go bad again? if that is what transpired

to all the above, Eric. The same situation occurred. The guide sheared at the 90- degree angle, lodged itself in the belt. We tore it all down, took the head to a machinist, bought the kit: both belts, guides, etc., replaced everything, making absolutely sure that the chains were tight. There s no chain slap. Put it back together, purred like a kitten for three days, noticed a tinging sound. When the cover was removed a day later, we saw that the upper chain guide was again sheared, at the same place as last time. That piece had again lodged itself in the timing belt. However this time we caught it before it created any deeper problems.
It is our daughters car and we thought that maybe she wasn't letting it warm up before taking off? Maybe the oil needed to warm up in order to tighten the chain? Maybe she revs it up too high before shifting to the next gear?
I guess these are our questions:
1) What specifically is that chain guide designed to do?
2) Can we eliminate that guide altogether? If we do what would the repercussion be to the engine?
Hah. Guess that's 3 questions , huh?My husband is a certified ASE mechanic and has been wrenching for thirty years. He knows his stuff, this has got him a little perplexed.Please forgive me, I have a very busy schedule and not always on the compute. I will be hit & miss, but I'm not ignoring you. I will try to stay more connected.Thank you! Look forward to getting your opinion on this!
Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

I wonder if its losing oil pressure? sometimes when an engine gets hot the oil pressure will minimize I would ck that....so the chain was still tight when pulled apart?

there was no slack in the chin
The chain was tight. And although there is no oil gauge, the pressure seems okay.
Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

Is their a spec on how much free play there is supposed to be ...slack...tensioner sticking? very odd scenario

Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

I​f oil pressure good the only thing that I can think of that might be causing the chain to misbehave would be the tensioner..so all guides chain gears are new and oil pressure good. I would put a tensioner on it

Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

I​f you need any specs or diagrams instructions etc let me know...also I would try using oe parts...please rate me as that is how I'm compensated

thank you Eric, for the help. I will see if we changed the tensioner, I have a feeling it was included in the kit and we replaced everything. Do you think it will cause problems if we just leave that guide off?
Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

are these factory parts

Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 10 months ago

I would not leave guide off

Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 10 months ago

u​ have to be sure put a new tensioner use factory parts and by all means put a new guide on there

Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 10 months ago

hows it going?