Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2012 Genesis got a new battery in April. now having…

I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 Genesis got a new battery in April. now having problems with care not starting had to get a jump on Wednesday and today again it will not start after I drove it to work this morning shut it up and that was it wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

No I have not

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Genesis yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I am not fixing it .I am waiting for the dealership to call me back ,. I do not want to keep jumping it and that not fix the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have notice that the lights on the dash flicker sometimes

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Are there any warning lights on the dash like the battery light? Or Check Engine light?

no

Ok. Great. Thank-you. Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

From what you are describing here, it sounds very much like you may have a failing Alternator. There is a very quick and simple test that can be done to confirm. I see here you are not fixing it yourself, so if bringing it to a shop, this test should be the first thing they do. If the alternator tests ok, then the serpentine belt will need to be checked to make sure it is staying tight around the alternator pulley. If the serpentine belt is tight and in goo condition, then next an electrical check will need to be done to make sure the alternator wiring is in good condition and making a good ground as well as no rubbed-through or broken wires. But, bot***** *****ne here, I believe the alternator is going to be the root of the problem. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Thank you very much I appreciate your help

You're very welcome! Glad I could be of some help today! Please remember to leave a rating for our Q&A using the stars at the top of the page! Have a great weekend!

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -