Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2005 PT Cruiser. We were on vacation in S.C. when…

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 PT Cruiser. We were on vacation in S.C. when the engine started jerking and missing. Then it started getting worse to the point were it would stall and quit at HWY speeds. It would always start up again but as soon as we got to about 2500 RPM it would jerk and stall again. I made it to an auto parts store and they thought it was probably the cam sensor. I purchased a new one and installed it. It seemed like it solved the problem (( only for a while though )). We managed to limp it back to Canada. I've tried many things to try and solve the problem but nothing seems to help. Replaced some broken vacuum lines, crank sensor, plug wires, coil, etc. All the code reader would give me was intermittent cam sensor !! Of course it would be intermittent when the engine stops. - 2500 rpm - engine stalls. Do you think it could be a collapsed exhaust pipe chocking the engine ? Just asking - Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?

No. It always starts right away and will idle or run at 2-2500rpm all day, and smoothly too.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm fixing it (I'm a licenced myself and I've replaced all the sensors (I think). The only thing I haven't replaced are the injectors plugs oxygen sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The only thing I can think of is fuel pressure but with limited equipment at home I haven't been able to do that.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Car
9/22/2017
Auto Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

so you must be getting come check engine codes with these problems right?