Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

The steering wheel on my Chev 2001 3500 Cargo Express is…

The steering wheel on...

The steering wheel on my Chev 2001 3500 Cargo Express is suddenly 90 degrees rotated ccw when allowed to center itself.

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the car been driving lately?

Absolutely fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Express yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took it to my local mechanic, but he didn't know how to deal with it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It apparently happened overnight. It was fine the day before. I went out the next morning and there it sat- cockeyed! VERY strange.

9/22/2017
Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.

For this to happen, there has to be something wrong in the fron suspension. Either some thing has been bent, or the idler arm or pitman arm are bad. Can you jack the front end up so we can see what is going on?

My local shop said they couldn't see anything wrong when they checked it out. Everything underneath looked okay. I had driven the van the night before, and backed it into its usual parking space, but at a bit of an angle, so the wheels were turned to the right slightly. I just left it that way, so the steering wheel was rotated from normal centering. Next morning I got in the van and pulled onto the street and found the wheel was 90 degrees out to the left. If I centered the wheel it steered way to the right. It was perfect the night before.
I am somewhat disabled and this is not something I can undertake.
Hello?? Are you still there?

Yes I am . I am looking to see if I have a diagram for you.

Did they check the rag joint at the gear box? Did they jack the van up and manually inspect all the parts under the van?

They put it up on the hoist to examine it. Said everything looked okay. I hadn't hit anything the day that I'd driven it last, so there was no abuse to the van. Very mysterious that something failed overnight. Well, I can't fix it myself so your talking me thru it is not an option. I was just hoping that there was someway to remove the steering wheel and turn it like in the old days. :-)
My local guy said to take it to an alignment center, so I guess that's what I'll have to do.
Okay, now what? No point in going any further here at this time.

If you are unable to go over the van with me, then the alignment shop is the best place to go. Turning the steering wheel is not a good thing to do. This will only make the turn signals not turn off correctly. I am willing to bet that the alignment shop finds a bad idler arm or a bad rag joint.

Alright, that's what I'll do then. Okay, thanks for trying at least. :-)

You are very welcome.

Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.