Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master, L1, L2, ASE 15yrs and running.
19871424

2000 VW not shifting into overdrive. 2.0L SOHC engine. No

2000 VW not shifting into overdrive. 2.0L SOHC engine.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No leaks. I guess it would be 17 years old, since it is a 2000
JA: What is the model of your '00 VW?
Customer: My bad, it is a Jetta
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am fixing it myself, I do quite a bit of auto repair, but have not delved into automatic transmissions yet. I am not sure where to start here. I can ohms test sensors, etc., but I need to know what to check.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just bought this used, so I do not have much history about it.
Hello I'm Wolfgang. I do need a vin # to assist. Thanks
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
The VIN is 3VWSA29M2YM09829

ok if you look at the indicator of gears on the cluster are all of the gears highlighted?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
On the cluster, only the gear I am shifted into is highlighted.
Did you scan vehicle for codes on the transmission? Vag com scan tool preferred
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I did, no transmission codes.
Ok I need you to do this procedure.Key on engine off
Press and hold gas pedal down for 10 secs then release. Do this 3 times. Then turn ignition off for 2 minutes and then start car and road test please let me know if better !Thanks
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I tried that procedure, but the car still doesn't shift. Sorry about the delayed response. It took me a couple of days to try that.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
The car battery was dead for a while, and some attempts were made to jump start it. See also previous message.
Let me ask this if you were driving the car do you see the tach go down on each shift and say you are trying to go 3-4 does the rpm just stay high? Please read the question carefully.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I believe it is shifting untill it gets to 3-4. At 55 mph we are 3500 to 4000 rpms.

when you drove the car did you see the tach go down each shift . want to make sure!!

thanks

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
The car is a little rough, so you must pay attention to the road, but I don't think I saw a tachometer change, or heard a shift at all.

that means then the car is in limp mode 3rd gear and in third the rpm range would be 3500 to 4k.

what scan tool did you use? make and model?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I see Konnwei on the device, but I do not see a model number.

ok that is just a code reader and will not work to get trans codes . on the 1999-2001 yrs code readers had issues getting trans codes because of the module communication. VAG COM or the factory scan tool is needed to get a good scan!

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok, I guess I will try to get a better scanner. I will let you know what I find.

ok got it

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok, so the transmission codes I found with the VW scanner is as follows.
00518 - Throttle Position Sensor (G69)
00532 - Supply Voltage B+
00529 - Engine Speed Signal Missing
00545 - Engine - Transmission Electrical Connection
01314 - Engine control module
Also, in the OBDII codes, I found
P0765 - Shift solenoid D
P0725 - Engine Speed Input Circuit
P1780 - ?
P1850 - Data Bus Powertrain Missing Message from Engine Control.Some of these may not even relate to the problem, but I added everything just in case. Thank you. Once again, I do have a voltmeter and know how to use it.
Ok I want you to clear the codes and road test the vehicle then rescan module
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Well, I have no OBDII codes, and no VW transmission codes. The car is shifting now, but the test drive was only about 10 minutes.
The only codes I have now are the O2 sensor codes, and the misfire codes. Again, the battery had been dead, and multiple attempts were made to jump start the vehicle. Do you think the dead battery and the multiple jump start attempts caused this?
Possible. Get a new battery