Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a short on the transmission fuse number 34 on a 07…

Customer Question
I have a short...

I have a short on the transmission fuse number 34 on a 07 hummer h3

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?

Yes is for the transmission power

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your H3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Also I noted that Chassis has 12 volts when negative battery terminal is not connected

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Car
9/21/2017
Auto Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

When you replace the fuse at what time does the fuse fail?

When I open ignition switch

Unplug the transmission connector, try another fuse. If the fuse does not fail then the pink wire from this fuse is shorted inside the transmission which is now a red wire. So you need to unplug all the solenoids and try again as well as see if the red wire is chaffed. If the transmission unplugged still results in a blown fuse then the pink wire is shorted to ground somewhere in the harness outside the transmission.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

It has a weird short somewhere because it has power 12v on Chassis when I disconnect negative terminal, i believe there is something coming from the ecm because there is 2 wires at the transmission connector a blackone pin 17 and a blue one pin 49 at ecm, that have power with negative terminal disconnected, and if I connect it they have ground.

We can get into that other concern if needed once we address fuse 34 failing.

I already tried all of that no luck, with transmission connector disconnected there is no short, I opened transmission and didn't see nothing wrong inside, I think there is a signal from ecm that switches at times because of the two wires I told you about
I have a diagram at one point those two wires showed voltage with negative terminal hooked up and didn't blow fuse for a few ignition cycles
I'm talking about black wire low ref pin 17 and m at transmission and dark blue pin 49 and v at transmission connector those two have ground all time with battery terminal connected
I know pink wire is not shorted already checked that from fuse box to tranmission

Thanks, ***** ***** the red wire in the transmission or one of the solenoids is shorted to ground (transmission valve body or case) and to blame for fuse 34 failing.

Ok but on those two wires I'm talking about should they have ground or power because I think they are bringing ground to the transmission

The transmission is supposed to be grounded because it is mounted to the engine and the frame. Every vehicle on the road the transmission is a good ground. The focus needs to stay on the red wire and solenoids, your short will be found there.

Could it be the input speed sensor ? Because there is only ground to all of the solenoids when I connect that sensor 3 pin
But once again at one time the dark blue wire had voltage with connector disconnected (3 pin) and I connected it and all the solenoids had power around 8 volts, with ignition off and that is when the fuse didn't blow for a few ignition cycles

You are overthinking and making your task at hand much more difficult than it needs to be.

See this diagram https://www.dropbox.com/s/aitf2n93ik19r5k/ISS.png?dl=0

Ok so how do I check solenoids and iss to see if they are shorted to ground, I have disconnected one by one and the only time that ground goes away is when I disconnect iss

So with all the solenoids unplugged the fuse still fails. With the ISS unplugged the fuse no longer fails?

I have not tried that yet I have to open it up again I had already close it, so can I do it that way after I open it just try one by one

Keep in touch as needed

No it still blowing it do you think is related to the Chassis having 12 volts?

So all solenoids and ISS sensor unplugged, fuse fails?

Transmission unplugged, fuse does not fail, correct?

If both are true then the red wire is shorted to ground in the connectors or in the wire.

No luck it still blows idk what to do

We are back to step one, remove the trans connector from the transmission and try and new fuse. If the fuse does not fail it has to be in the connector or the transmission. Unplug all solenoids and sensor in there and ohm test the red wire to ground. It should have no continuity to ground.

Did all that and shows not to be grounded I honestly think is coming from somewhere else like the fuse box or something I think I will have to take it to the dealer.

If you unplug the transmission and the fuse does not fail that means the fuse box and wire from the fuse box to the transmission is not to blame.

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

No really I had to get it towed to the dealer

Please keep in touch and let me know where the short is found to be.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician