Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Mechanic
Experience:  Fully qualified 20+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Level power steering fluid on my 2005 focus keeps dropping

level power steering fluid on my 2005 focus keeps dropping no obvious signs of a leak. I have owned the car 8 years, this is 2nd time this has happened 1st time was some years ago cant rememebr exactly how they fixed it at the time
JA: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak? And have you checked the reservoir?
Customer: no sign of leak reservoir goes fro max to min in a few days
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing so far no tech knowledge
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats it

Hi..there..

Id be pretty surprised if the level is dropping,there isnt any signs of a leak evident anywhere?...there has to be as power steering fluid leaks can create quite a mess andss are normally quite easy to spot if you trace the pipe circuit round..unless it very small and only leaks under high pressure when the pumps needs to work harder,but you should still traces of PS fluid oil somewhere or the region....in that case if a leak cant be seen but the level is still dropping..then it might best when refilling to add a UV dye into the system..this means when the cars driven for small period of time..and the level is seen to drop again..then they can go around the power steering circuit with a black light,yellow glasses and see if there is any evidence or traces of the UV dye leaking out at a certain area and high lights the point at which the fluid is escaping..so worth trying that..However the most common fault you normally see on them is the the high pressure line union fitting leaking at the pump they are the free-swivelling fittings.so normally its the seal that goes...so maybe check there...hope this helps

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no obvious signs of a fluid leak but will get underneath and see if there is anything showing. Many thanks for your points to look for
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no need for phone call that is fine for now thank you

Hi..yes thats fine..like i say when it comes to power steering leaks then they can create quite a mess..because of the high pressure involved..maybe check the steering rack and ensure its not leaking out the inner tie rod steering gaitors..if it is..then its a new steering rack....

If you need to ask anything else then just message..in the meantime if you could leave a rating for me it would be much appreciated..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
one last question is it safe to drive if I keep the fluid topped up intil I can get a mech to fix it in near future ?

As long as you monitor the fluid level regulary..then its fine to drive.its not ideal. but safe to drive...but if the power steering lost all the fluid then the steering would just become heavy to use..thats all..but then you run the risk of damaging the power steering pump if left without fluid for long period of time....

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That is fine will give you an excellent rating as answered my questions very well thank you very much

No problem..glad to help.many thanks for rating....but like i say above..if you have any further questions or need advice..then your more than wlecome to ask..just use this question you've created..its doesnt lock even if you have rated..you can still ask further questions should you need to...