Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

1997 GMC SAVANA 2500 5.0 L ENGINE MISFIRING AND WHEN I GET…

Customer Question
1997 GMC SAVANA 2500...

1997 GMC SAVANA 2500 5.0 L ENGINE MISFIRING AND WHEN I GET TO STOPLIGHT LOW OIL PRESSURE SIGN IS ON

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?

YES I HAVE THE VAN FOR 7 YEARS I HAVE NEVER CHANGE OIL PUMP

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Savana yourself? What have you tried so far?

NO

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Car
9/19/2017
Auto Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Auto Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Does your check engine light come on?

Auto Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Do you have the codes or way to get the codes?

you can just let me know what you figure is the problem i scanned it came up as cam sensor i chane it but no help tune up no help
are you there
Auto Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Yes, i am .

Auto Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Low oil pressure can definately cause the stmptom you are experiencing.

Auto Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Do you feel the misfire when engine is cold, warmed up or all the time?

alll the time more when engine is cold
Auto Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Do you also hear any noise from the engine?

i hear
IT WAS RUNNING FINE UNTIL I CHANGE THE ALTERNATOR THEN IT START DOING THIS
Auto Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Roughly how many miles do you have on the engine? HAs it overheated or ran out of oil recently?

NO NEVER OVERHEAT OR RAN OUT OF OIL 367,000 KMS
Auto Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

The symptom you are experincing with the code present for the cam points towards a incorrect timing or weak oil pump. I will recommend to start by checking the oil pressure. If incorrect that means the oil pump is bad or the oil pickup tube is clogged. If oil pressure is good then check the timing.

Auto Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Do you have any other questions?

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician