Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles
45790705

I have A Grand Cherokee 3.1 TD 2001 model WJ type. This is

Good morning . I have A Grand Cherokee 3.1 TD 2001 model WJ type. This is an automatic transmission. When driving at high or low speed the O/D sign shows suddenly and motor speed increases, the sign of overtemp transmission then appears on the screen. It can dissapear suddenly or last for a while if I decrease the speed, lift my foot from the pedal. It generally happens after some short drive, or suddenly during a long drive time ( over an hour). Can you tell me what is the root problem, and if common ?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?
Customer: yes this is the original, km 167 000, this fact was diagnosed in 2010, and the mechanic said I should change the gear shif unit or TCM, but this wasn't done at the time
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I'll not change it myself, but I can bring those pieces to the garage, if the spare parts are available
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just to say I'm in France, and apparently the jeep dealer in my place hasn't got much appetite to repair this old car despite it is quite in good shape (It was parked a number of years as I was abroad)

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

the flashing O/D buttom indication of bad Torques converter ?

how long ago in mileage when it was checked in 2010 and tech told you you need gear unit or tcm ?

do you have a capable scanner that can read jeep fault codes from tcm module

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Chad, thanks for connecting.
The car was diagnosed with this erratic problem in 2010.but this was my concern as the garage didn't get that problem from any other diagnostic. At that time the km was 120 000 .
Vehicle was then serviced at 140 000 in 2011, with also a test drive, minor ventilation works at 153000 in 2012, and transmission checked too, serviced at 164 000 in july 2016 with change of disks, brakes and stabilization. This car was less used for 3 years from 2013 to 2016 as it was only driven for holidays during christmas time, being abroad on opposite side of the world most of the time.
That OD problem became really accutate a week ago when driving on highway, and after an hour drive this indication flashed on the screen, added with high motorspeed, and flashing warning from the overheat transmission.
Following advices from a part dealer, the default codes shown are P1757 P0463 P1762. Obviously governor pressure sensor being the main reason.
I called my Jep garage to check if they had resetted the default values on the last service.
The technician said they do not do that unless necessary?......
I resetted the values by deconnecting the battery and connecting the neg/pos wires, to erase the values.
I'm now in the process to lauch a long test drive and see if those default values appear again.
I have no direct possibility to test the TCM otherwise and see if any cause comes from this unit

you sound knowledgeable on them , yes , disconnecting 30 minutes , should clear them, i usually like to take both cables of battery touch 60 sec then wait 30 and reconnect .

after the test drive ,scan it again and tell me what fault pop up again and post them back here for me

Read below how to get back in touch with me

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Chad.
Until now, and reading various chats and discussions on those problems,I have no real clue on what are the different issues. Can you tell me if such models are prone to those sensor defaults, due to aging or else, or will it indicate some other major repair.
what does it really means by those different codes if they remain the same P 1757 and P1762
Case one: those governor pressure sensor are to be changed as well as solenoid, or whatever comes with. I guess the Jeep dealer garage or a garage is able to change those units if I order those from some spare part specialist
Case two: the problem is beyond the sensors and the TCM unit has to be changed. This seems to be a bit of a work and other level of expenses.
other cases ? Transmission problem ?
I would like to have more informations on such issues if you have some experience on that pleaseregards
Claude

Hi

The fact when it overheats is doing it tells me we losing line pressure , unless we are getting a false reading from that sensor and to know to be accurate we need a capable scanner or gauge,most likely u do not have one .

if it is a tcm module, then when it overheats and does that , try disconnecting battery for at least 10 minutes and see if doing that make it work again, then we know it is a module issue .if still the same, I would drop fluid and look for metal shavings ,run it thru a funnel that has a screen at end of it

now these are known for need rebuild at 100 plus miles ,so 167k is around that but i can not confirm for testing

click on link to view pdf file on dtc P1757, now the engine on the data does not match ,but it has same transmission u have and the troubleshoot the same, if you can run thru the steps you will pin point it for sure

1)DTC P1757

SYMPTOM P1757-GOVERNOR PRESSURE ABOVE 3 PSI IN GEAR WITH 0 MPH WHEN MONITORED Continuously with the key ON and engine running. SET CONDITION This code will set if the Governor Press Sensor output is > 21 KPa (3 PSI) when requested pressure is 0 KPa (0 PSI) with Governor Press Solenoid Duty cycle at 95% for 2.65 seconds. Two trips of two consecutive bad 2.65 second tests are required to set the code. POSSIBLE CAUSES - Other Transmission DTC's present - Check Transmission fluid level and condition - Intermittent governor pressure solenoid - 5 volt supply circuit open - Governor pressure sensor signal circuit open - Sensor ground circuit open - Governor pressuresensor signal circuit short to ground - Governor pressuresensor signal circuit short to sensor ground - 5 volt supply circuit open inside transmission - Governor pressuresensor signal circuit short to voltage - Governor pressuresensor ground circuit open inside transmission - Governor pressuresensor signal circuit open inside transmission - Governor pressuresensor signal circuit short to ground inside transmission - Governor pressuresensor signal circuit short to sensor ground inside transmission - Governor pressuresensor signal circuit short to voltage inside transmission - Governor Pressure Sensor - Oil burnt or oil pan has excessive debris - Valve body - PCM - 5 volt supply - Powertrain control module

DTCP1762

SYMPTOM P1762-GOVERNOR PRESSURE SENSOR OFFSET VOLTS TOO LOW OR HIGH WHEN MONITORED Continuously with the key ON and the engine running. SET CONDITION This code will set if the governor pressure is out of range in park or neutral for 1.3 seconds for three consecutive bad 3.0 second tests and sump temp> 10 °C (50 °F) and < 127 °C (260 °F) are required to set the code. POSSIBLE CAUSES - Powertrain control module - Powertrain control module - 5-volt supply high - Powertrain control module - after 5-volt supply shorted to voltage - Powertrain control module - after 5-volt supply shorted to voltage in transmission - Repair the 5-volt supply circuit and check the PCM - Replace the Transmission solenoid assembly and check the PCM - Intermittent condition - Powertrain control module - internal fault - 5-volt supply circuit open - Check for other Transmission DTC's - Governor pressuresensor signal circuit shorted to voltage inside transmission - Check for P/N position switch DTC's - Check Transmission fluid level and condition - Governor pressuresensor signal circuit shorted to voltage - 5-volt supply circuit shorted to ground - Governor pressuresensor signal circuit shorted to 5-volt supply circuit - Governor pressuresensor signal circuit shorted to 5-volt supply circuit inside transmission - Governor pressuresensor signal circuit shorted to ground - 5-volt supply circuit shorted to sensor ground - Governor pressuresensor signal circuit open inside transmission - Governor pressuresensor signal circuit shorted to sensor ground - Governor pressure sensor signal circuit open - Governor pressure solenoid - Governor pressuresensor signal circuit shorted to ground inside transmission - Powertrain control module - 5-volt supply circuit low - Sensor ground circuit open - Transmission line pressure low - Governor pressuresensor signal circuit shorted to sensor ground inside transmission - 5-volt supply circuit open inside transmission - 5-Volt supply circuit shorted to ground inside transmission - 5-Volt supply circuit shorted to sensor ground inside transmission - Sensor ground circuit open inside transmission - Governor pressure sensor

Please Remember To Rate ME Before You Exit Since that is How we get Compensated :)

And remember you can get back in touch with me for any follow ups even after you rate me

Chad

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Chad,
sounds good, I guess I have all in my hands. I'll keep you informed of that test drive result and if the OD suddently blows again on the screen and if any default indications are recorded. Thanks again for your timeRegards Claude

sounds great ,keep me updated

Thank You For The Rating :)

IF you need my Assistance in The Future on a Different issue , Just start your Question with ( FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY)

or Click on the link Below to Enter My Profile & Under My Picture Profile There is a Box That Says (Ask Your Question)

It will be Highlighted in Orange, Type your Question in The Box & It will be sent straight To Me to Assist you .

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800