Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

06 LAND ROVE RANGE ROVER 4.2L SUPERCHARGED Battery light…

06 LAND ROVE RANGE ROVER...
06 LAND ROVE RANGE ROVER 4.2L SUPERCHARGEDBattery light illuminated.
REPLACED ALTERNATOR
BATTERY TESTS OKAY and TRIED NEW BATTERYCan someone help determine why the battery lamp is illuminated
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/18/2017
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

click on link to view pdf file to see the alternator description of how it works , there 3 pins on the alternator connector ,do you have test to tell me what the readings are

what is the mileage on the car

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

you might have ecm or ecm wiring issue ,you need to do a continuity test back on the wires back to ecm and unplug it and check the connector for any burned pins making poor or no connection

this is the alternator circuit

If you do not mind me asking ,are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Do you have a test light & or power probe for testing ?

Do you have a test light so we can check for spark ?

Do you have fuel pressure tester to check for fuel ?

I will be performing and repairs. I can run about any test you ask me to run. Just let me know. I'm not well versed on Land Rover.

ok 3 pins on the alternator what we have ,do you see it in the diagram and continuity test on the wire going back to ecm

I will have to do this test tomorrow morning.Getting to the connector on the back of that alternator is very difficult without removing it.
If you have a diagram of the charging system. That would save me some time. I will test the resistance on these 3 wires and test for possible short to groundThanks,Mike

I aggree take your time ,or get some back rpobes tool, u find at local parts store

i seen a lot of cases of bad wiring to ecm, but we have to test ,i will try to help you with it

Read below how to get back in touch with me anytime you want

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

I have all of these tool. Verus Pro, power probe, multi-meters(digital and analog). I own the shop. I just need to know where and what to test.
Okay,this is the diag. you already sent. I can't make out the numbers or letters. I can see GENERATOR, but can't make out the designations.

TRY THIS DIAGRAM , 2 WHITE / RED WIRES , THEN 2 WHITE / LIGHT GREEN WIRES GOING FROM ALTERNATOR TO ECM

THEN U HAVE 2 DARK GREEN WIRES GOING TO BATTERY SIDE BUT THEY MEET INTO ONE GOING TO BATTERY

ON THESE WIRES WHAT U HAVE ,WHILE CAR RUNNING ?

CONTINUITY FROM ALT TO ECM 0 ohmsFROM ALT TO ECM 0 ohmsFROM ALT TO CENTRAL JUNCTION BOX ( FUSE # 30)
point a(alt CONNECTOR) <--- infinite resistance NO CONTINUITY ---> point b(fuse #30) ---> o ohms CONTINUITY <--- poInt c(bat)Can you verify that fuse #30 is the correct fuse. Not clear in wiring diagram. And the fuse box template in glove box shows fuse #30 as an empty slot. If this is the correct fuse, we have located the problem and should be able to repair with a 'parallel' splice/shunt???

hey Mike

The one with no continuity needs checked ,peel off the harness plastic tubing or wrap and inspected OR run another wire for testing purpose

and YES ,THE FUSE IN DIAGRAMS IS FUSE #30 SHOULD BE A 5 AMP FUSE IN THE CENTRAL JUNCTION BOX BASED ON WIRING CIRCUIT

KEEP ME UPDATED

CHAD

Chad Farhat
That was it.Thank you!!!!!

awesome man :)

I m glad ,great job on following it .

Thank You For The Rating :)

IF you need my Assistance in The Future on a Different issue , Just start your Question with ( FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY)

or Click on the link Below to Enter My Profile & Under My Picture Profile There is a Box That Says (Ask Your Question)

It will be Highlighted in Orange, Type your Question in The Box & It will be sent straight To Me to Assist you .

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800