Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Second opinion] 1994 SAAB 900 2.3L Cranks and fires and then…

Customer Question
Second opinion] 1994 SAAB...

Second opinion] 1994 SAAB 900 2.3L Cranks and fires and then dies.. Seems I have fuel pressure and spark. Coil seems to have power as does fuel pump. I have replaced the coil, temp sensor, new battery, and fuel pump. Sometimes it will just crank, others it will crank for a few seconds and then act like it wants to start. Wiring looks OK.. Is this a classic ECU failure ? I.E. it starts the fuel pump but shuts it off after cranking ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?

Yes. Crimped fuel return line and pressure regulator seems to be doing its job.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 900 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Are you a bot

Mechanic's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the mechanic more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I already told you everything.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/18/2017
Auto Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 9 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Thanks for the request but I do not work on the SAAB, so I will opt out.

Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that can cause the engine to start and die and it will require some testing to determine exactly what is going on. You may have a fuel issue, it could be losing spark, it may be an internal engine problem, an exhaust restriction, and it could definitely be an engine controller failure.

What was done to verify fuel delivery and spark?