Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

It appears I have an open circuit from the ignition switch…

Customer Question
It appears I have...

It appears I have an open circuit from the ignition switch to the starter on a 1997 nessan truck

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the car been stalling out?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

1997 nessan truck 4 cyl,*****amnual trans

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I checked the ignition switch it appears fine. I dad the starter and solenoid rebuilt and the seledoid is new. I applied 12 volts to the solenoid and the starter engaged. I starter traceing the wire back from the solenoid and have got to the fire wall. there is continuity from the starter to the connection before the fire wall, but none from there to the ignition switch.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes the wireing diagram shows a contact switch between the ignition switch and the solenoid but I don,t know where it is.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Car
9/17/2017
Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 11 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Just to be sure this is a manual transmission is this correct?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Can you locate the clutch switch to do some electrical testing at it?