Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Need help adjusting brakes on 65 beetle, The braking system…

Customer Question
Hi there, need help...

Hi there, need help adjusting brakes on 65 beetle

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

The braking system was working fine till I replaced the front left drum (one of the threads was stripped). Now foot goes to floor before anything happens

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Car
9/16/2017
Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

The bottom of the shoe is attached to an adjuster that can be turned by means of a star to move the shoe relative to the drum. The adjusting stars (one for either shoe) will be visible through either a hole in the drum (you'll need to turn the drum to find them) or through two holes in the backing plate, depending on the year of your car.

yours should have the hole on the front the same as the attached image

The adjusting stars can be turned by levering them with a screwdriver. Turning them clockwise tightens the shoes to the drum. The object is to turn them until the shoes bind against the drums and can't be wound in any more, and then turn them back three notches on the star, at which point the wheel should turn freely.

Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Hi there. Ended up taking car to a mechanic to get both drums replaced. Already knew how to adjust the shoes wasn't sure if it was safe to drive on one second hand drum.

Understood

is there anything else I can help with?

Matt, Engineer