Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I live in Homestead Fl We was just devastated by hurricane…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, I live...

Hi Pearl, I live in Homestead Fl We was just devastated by hurricane Irma. The night before the Hurricane I was on my way to my daughter's house when my 2005 GMC Envoy died on me. The battery light came on and the gauges all went to zero and the car died in the middle of the road.lucky for me this nice guys pushed me out of the road into a parking space.well 2 days later I was able to get it towed to my house.I called AAA and they gave a jump and it run right away but when the guy remove the cables it died, he told me I needed an alternator so I went and got an alternator and a new battery and I did not know that I had to to use a memory saver and now the battery light comes on and is justb running off the battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?

No they are brand new

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Envoy yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried disconecting the battery and then connecting it back

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that is it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Car
9/15/2017
Auto Mechanic: john aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 11 months ago
john  aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy

sounds like the new alternator is bad...have you had it tested to verify

No I have not

that would be my next step..sounds more like a bad alternator or a conection issue at the alternator harness