Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I work for a school district in West Texas ( Wylie ISD ) in

I work for a school district in West Texas ( Wylie ISD ) in Abilene. I have 4 travel buses with thermoking top mount A/C units. I am having serious trouble with one of them. It has happened on 4 different occasions. They drive them to the school site, and A/C works fine, very cold. However once they begin to head back, sometimes it works for about 5-10 minutes other times it doesn't cool at all. Then it is only good as a fan while the temp on the bus is still over 90 degrees inside. We have replaced the dash control unit last year end of season, and the 24 volt alternator less than 2 years ago. We are grabbing at straws, and would really appreciate some help
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: All good
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: flow is good also
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we are a school district, I do have some a/c training. We have had it in for service before with this problem, and they could not find a problem, as it works just fine early am. The connectors above the compressor have been soldered in, so no connection problems at this point.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do have the unit tag pic here with me. It is system 901089, nidek D5E/D5CR

HI,

Has anyone been able to pull the cover when this happens to see if the system is freezing up?

Do you know if the compressor is working when it stops blowing cold air or is it off?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No on the cover, I have just pulled it into shop to see if drain lines are clear, you can hear the compressor shut off when it quits blowing cold air. The bus usually sets at least 3 hours between trip up to the game site until the get back in it to come home. Vehicle is OFF between arrival and load up to leave
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was going to pull upper cover as well as lower one inside the bus to check

HI,

While it dont see it much on this one, pull the covers to make sure nothing is freezing up. If so, evacuate, vacuum down and recharge as there is moisture in the system.

If not, check your pressure switch. I do see them with intermittent faults, especially loose wiring at the connector. This will disenage the compressor

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok when it was in shop about a year ago they soldered all connectors instead o
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will check this in shop, thanks for the help

you are welcome