Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

I Have a 2002 Dodge Ram 5.9 (Gas and LPG) and a problem with

I Have a 2002 Dodge Ram 5.9 (Gas and LPG) and a problem with the engine light. The error code is a P0601.
When I turn the ignition key on, I can erase the code with a OBDII and after starting the engine this P0601 code doesn't come back during my drive. There is also no difference when I drive on Gas only or LPG. But when I stop the engine and make a restart, the engine light stays on and shows the P0601 again.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.That code is for an internal memory fault. You can check the power and grounds to the ecm but you basically need to replace the ecm. There is no other fix for it. :-/I strive to provide 5 star service. If I satisfactorily answer your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Sonny, I give jou already credit for your quick answer; thanks. I already did some research on the internet in the past and always the owner noticed that (after erasing the code before) the engine light turned on again after some time. But in my case I can drive longtime and nothing shows up in the meantime as should be expected; just only when I restart the engine again.
So one way or the other, when I turn the ignition key on, the ECM notices an error in (??) but during the trip there is no error registered.
So, in fact, as long as during a trip the engine light doesn't go on, there is no reason for me to worry. When I do not erase the code before starting the engine, I'll risk that a major problem wil not be noticed because the engine light was on already.
Checking the grounds is not easy, because I cannot find where these grounds exactly are situated.
So replacing the ECM for a new one might not be the best solution to take, because after a cost of +/- $ 800-1.000 for the unit and garage fee, I risk to have the same problem again. I Live in France and since GM is not represented in this country only by FIAT who told me that for my truck the limited slip additive (Mopar) is no longer needed and even not for sale on the market anymore, I have my fears.
Gotcha. I understand all that. I have seen it where it takes a drive cycle for it to come on. Usually if you drive it and read the codes it will be showing in pending and not set the light till you cycle the key. But that being said, checking the power and grounds is always a first action. Is your truck a US manufactured or overseas? If US I can get you the ground points.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll come back to you tomorrow. It is 21.00h over here and I caught a fever so in a few minutes I'll "hit the sack" as we said in the Army. There is something in my mind that the truck was manufactured in Canada, but I have to check it.
Enjoy your day,
Bart
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is a USA manufactured car.
Ok so right rear of engine compartment is a ground spot where both of the grounds for the computer go. On connector C1 at the ecm in space 31 & 32 is a black with tan stripe wire. Those are the ground wires.
Then C1 connector at ecm slot 2 is a lt green w/ black stripe that is power fed from fuse PTC1 in engine fuse box.
C1 slot22 is a red w/ whit stripe fed from fuse 19 which is a 20A.
Let me know if you have any questions. And just FYI I'll be out of internet service most of today so I might not be able to reply till tonight.
The ground location should have several wires on it as it's a ground for lots of things
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I stand in front of the car and open the hood, the ground must be at my right hand side ? Is this the one shown on the picture between the battery and the fender ? This ground counts about 8 wires (red/black, white/black, dark green/black, light green/black ...). This ground was not attached by the garage when they changed the battery and so my wipers and horns did not work. If this point is also the ground for the ECM, it works.
Fuse 19 is a 10 amp fuse (see picture) and inside the cover of the fusebox is written "FCM/SKIM'
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think image 4410 is not well representing the ground, so...
I'm not sure what image 4410 is, it looks like a bird in a Christmas tree. Right rear is oriented from sitting in the driver seat. So it would be on the passenger side. In the back on the firewall
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Sonny, I have the flue with high tempreature and go to bed now. I'll answer you tomorrow.
Ok sounds good. Sorry your sick.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, still sick as a dog. I tested these two grounds. To the right ground a flat cable is attached. This one seems not to be in a good shape, but I measure also the same resistance between the bolt and any part of the attached cable and the bolt and another ground at the righthand fender. So this one is Ok.
To the left one 4 wires were attached together with the holder of the alarm unit. As I tried to detach the holder and the wires, the nut from the ground broke off. Because this left not enough space, I connected the holder again with a nut and attached the 4 wires to the holder at another place. This is what you see on the picture. I tested the resistance between the original ground and a ground at the righthand fender and between the new made ground at the holder and the ground at the righthand fender. These were all Ok.The only thing I did not do was detaching al the wires (the flat cable and the 4 other ones) before measuring.
Ok so as long as the wires and the spot where they attach is good, then the problem is in the computer. (Moving the ground to another location is fine, won't hurt it at all)