Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

406 HDi 110. engine does not utrn off with key. Stall engine

to stop. Engine light and...
406 HDi 110. engine does not utrn off with key. Stall engine to stop. Engine light and handbrake light on when key out
JA: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: i have to stall the engine to stop it. So i need the diagnostic fault code? I need to take to shop to get diagnostic?
JA: What is the model/year of your Peugeot?
Customer: 406 hdi(###) ###-####JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ignition barrel seems very loose. Self diagnosing. Trying to understand what ignition sequence leaves the engine light on and the handbrake light on, with the key out.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope thanks
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/13/2017
Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Mechanic

Hi..there..

The ignition switch on these is a combined unit.so the whole barrel includes the switch for ignition/run position aswell as start...if you finding the ignition is loose..then id say that would be the most logical place to start..it could be the igntion/barrel sint returning the switch part to send a signal to stop solnoid the switch the engine off..you can actually buy just the switch itself..but you need to remove the barrel..but if the key is loose then i suspect it could be the barrel itself..if you have to replace both..then you would be required to get the key blade to match the replcement barrel aswell as transfer the transponder chip to the new key..hope this helps

Thanks. Update. I discovered the car will switch off if I have pressed the brake peddle (with either the key off, or then turning off the key with the peddle pressed).
There is a problem with the Immobiliser. If i press the brake peddle more than once the immobiliser fault appears.
I then disconnect and reconnect the battery while the key is in the ignition, the fault disappears and car can be started.

Ok..sounds like a strange fault,electrical at that..normally you shouldnt be able to kill the engine via the brake pedal..there is a brake light switch obviously the brake pedal comes against to operate your brake lights..ideally i day visually inspect the wiring loom under and around the steering column for any shorts, breaks or rubbing through the insulation..especially so if you suspect anyone has been retro fitting anything to the wiring in there.so certainly check that out..you would ideally need to remove thelower half of the dash under the steering wheel plus the steering column cowling to get a better look..and seewhat the wiring likes at the back of the switch..ensure the connectors are clean and secure..maybe whilst the faults present..try the wiggle test on the wiring to see if that fault changes or resolves itself etc..the only other thing i can think off outside of bad ignition switch is the starter continually live in the running position...

Update #2
When key is off and brake pedal is pressed the fuel pump stops. When I release the pedal it starts again for a short while then stops again (pressurising?). I found this out testing as you said to.Another interesting observation is on the dash just after startup the spanner and Service mileage is reading -999999What makes these two things happen? The service mileage reading -999999. And what should make the fuel pump stop when the key is switched back one or two notches?Seems like the power might still be active at the ignition?Also the immobiliser problem can be reversed. Once the key is out and the brake pedal pressed the immobiliser fault occurs. To reverse depress the brake pedal then insert the key. Let pedal off and immobiliser fault has disappeared.What do you think ?

Ok..unless power is being fed via the brake light circuit which is always live is getting connected to the ignition circuit downstream of the ignition switch..one way to test would be if that if the dash light are still lit with ignition off..disconnect the ignition switch..if lights are still on locate the brake light fuse.and pull that out..if the lights go out then the power is coming directly from the brake light circuit..in which case you need to trace to brake light switch wiring...maybe start off at the brake light switch itself and trace back..if you have another brake light switch handy then maybe swap it over just to be sure the switch itself isnt faulty..

maybe check main grounds too..from the battery negative to body..there should also be mian fuse panel up from the battery..maybe check no water or moisture has gotten into that..

Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Mechanic
Almost last update I think.
The fuel level gauge wasn't changing after I added more diesel, I found the connectors under the rear seat. There was water and broken glass under the seat, I cleaned this out. I removed the electrical connector from the fuel tank connection and reconnected it again. The fuel gauge worked.
I went checking fuses in the fuse box under the bonnet.
Strangely the fuse #16 the 30A fuse controlling the oil level and diesel injector relay was completely missing. I replaced it yet the car was not fixed immediately - i was soon after. The car still did not stop when the key was turned off.
I checked the earth lead and traced the connection back to the engine block. Undid it a little from the engine block, then re-tightened. I found damp dirt gravel on earth connectors attached to the passenger fender - next to the fuse box. I cleaned this away.
I changed the wiper blades too :)
The car now almost completely works.
The car stops and starts. The immobilizer fault does not occur. The key fob now works and opens and locks the car remotely (this did not work before).
Only new problem is Antipollution Fault :-) to add to the existing ABS Fault.

Ok..thanks for the update on how things are progressing..sounds like your getting somewhat forward on the issues...yeah if you have small code reader or someone you know has scanner or reader i think thats about the only way forward to find out what the anti pollution fault is aswell as the ABS..clear the fault codes after you have noted them down and see if the fault come back..the ABS might if its bad wheel sensor etc..but to see if the anti pollution light will come back..sometimes on the HDI's it can be egr related or issue on the DPF or eloys fluid if you have it fitted on the 406 probably not!..but you need to know what codes your getting first.to be honest.. but have also seen old unchnaged fuel filter do it too..

As a litmus test I checked the pollen and air filters. If these are dirty it is less likely the diesel filter has been changed. And I like changing filters to make sure they are not unseen causes. The pollen filter is black and clogged, the air filter slightly better, a kind of brown with touches of orange/yellow occasionally. Let us say not really that well cared for. I only just bought this car. I'm heading in the direction of changing the fuel filter and EGR clean. I am considering buying a PP2000 and scanner connection online. Seems the best way to know what the ECR is reporting. I changed the oil as soon as I bought it, though now wanted to get the ignition situation sorted before solving the other - likely related to lack to cleanliness and care - issues.
I might be uncovering problems as other problems are solved. Sometimes is the case. I probably should have bought a clean well cared for car rather than this cheaper priced one :) It has done 276,000 kms so far.
Next it will need a clutch and likely replace the timing belts, water pump and check all pulleys to be sure.
Thanks, ***** ***** and advice is reassuring.

Yeah if it hasnt been serviced for quite some time..it sort of makes sense to do a filters change..especially the fuel filter anyway...yeah and egr clean would be the best option..just remove it and ensure the valve is clear of carbon and soot.... But PP2000 is about the best you can get for Peugeot,citroen PSA cars...but make sure its not chinese copy..although you can get good Autel,Foxwell tools that seem to work ok...The mileage does sound alot but its not at all unusual to see on diesels these days! due to there good return on mpg..which the HDI's have always been good for..but yeah if anything you need to ask then just continue..but if you could leave a rating for me it would be much appreciated..rating doesnt lock the question so you can still continue to ask afterwards..

Robert
Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Mechanic