Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have a 2009 Hyundai sonata. The car will not shift into

gear, also the Park symbol...
I have a 2009 Hyundai sonata. The car will not shift into gear, also the Park symbol is not lit up anymore. We replaced the brake light switch and nothing happened.
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: brakes changed within the last 8 moths and the fluid level is normal.
JA: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we replaced the brake light switch only. I took it to a local transmission he put the machine up under the dash and stated no codes were coming up and suggested I buy a whole new transmission for 2800.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it.
9/12/2017
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Will the shifter come out of Park? and does it go into manual L and reverse gear position like it should? or is the shifter just stuck in Park and won't come out of Park? thank you.

The car only comes out of park if I hit the emergency shift button . We replaced the brake light switch
I'm unsure of what manual l

Alright, I understand, when you hit the overide button to get it into gear, does the transmission shift and have all it's gears like it should then?

It seemed like it was in gear one but it went to like 80 miles
Also the shift indicator light is off on the dash it does not read what gear the car is in

I understand, was this a transmission shop that looked at it? or a dealer? or an independent shop? and did that shop say the fluid was burned by chance?

He stated there were no sensor on he stated my transmission fluids were normal. It was a independent shop He suggested he rebuild the transmission for 2500 and try to locate the problem.

Alright, If the fluid is normal and not burned, it could be a solenoid or a valve body problem. I believe the shifter not coming out of park could be related to the shift lock solenoid, or the gear position switch, if the transmission is in limp mode due to the gear position switch it may have these symptoms, do the reverse lights work when you put it in reverse by chance?

That would tell us if it is adjusted correctly.

I'm not sure about the reverse lights we did not check that I can when I get home from work.
my question if the reverse light do not invade what is that related to again
In sorry typo if they do not ingage or come on what issue could that be related to

That would tell us if it is adjusted correctly. the gear position switch.

If it has reverse lights, then the gear position switch is moving properly and is adjusted properly with the shifter.

Ok also what would make the dash indicator not work the p for park is not showing is that all associated with what you explained?

Yes, it could be that, but if reverse gear lights up the reverse lights, then I suspect the position switch is adjusted correctly. Personally I would get another estimate and take it to an Aamco transmission shop, or a local transmission shop with good reviews, if this shop just said let's tear it apart for 2500$ and didn't give you much diagnostic information as what could be wrong with it then I would definitely get another opinion at another shop and preferably a well known transmission shop.

Would there be code read if the solenoid is bad. The transmission guy stated there was no code coming up when he placed the box under steering wheel to see

There could be a code set by a failing position switch but not always. Did you ever see the check engine light come on when you were having this problem? or did it never come on?

It did but it when back off once we moved the car form the garage to the front of the house to get towed. It was not on then
That's was yesterday the car broke down over a week ago

If it came on it's got a code stored most likely. I would be surprised if it didn't, just because the check engine light isn't on doesn't mean there aren't codes pending. What is the mileage on it approximately?

High mileage 227346In your opinion should I get a second opinion or try to replace those two parts first . If that doesn't work. It's most likely something serious and not worth fixing because the car value is only about 2000. This is the first major issue I have ever had with this car I have had it over5 years this is my drive to work car?

I understand. With that mileage, in my opinion, it probably needs rebuilt. You could put a used unit in it as well. I suggest car-part.com to find a unit with low mileage to swap it out. You can search by your zip code on that site and find the best deal and mileage on a replacement used unit. That would be more economical that having it rebuilt in my opinion. I wouldn't start replacing external parts now with that mileage personally. I believe it's probably going to have to either be replaced or rebuilt to fix it right. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Thanks for the information. Your very helpful.

Absolutely, If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need to ask us anything else just let us know. Thank you.

Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Edward
Edward
Edward, Service Technician