sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

My ac won't blow cold air unless it's set to the coldest

My ac won't blow cold air unless it's set to the coldest setting

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site, automatic or manual climate control system?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Both but it has to set at 60 to get any cold air

it cant be both

are your temp knobs digital or not?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Digital

ok standby

try this procedure, but he fuse is going to be different as indicated on the attachment

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
K it still isn't blowing cold air and now it won't blow cold in the coldest setting either and I forgot to mention that I get a hissing sound from my dash about every 20 seconds

ok, sitting in the car. key on. engine off. operate the temp control from cold to hot then back to cold. let me know if you hear an actuator move behind the dash

is this dual zone or not?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yeah it's duel

and it wont blow cold on either side?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can hear something in the dash

can you hear something when using both temp controls?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can hear the same thing on both sides and I only get the little bit of cold air on the coldest setting while driving when I idle I lose all the cold air

and the blower motor works on every speed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm sry but it's kind of hard to hear the ( I'm not sure how the discribe the noise but a small clicking) on the pass side when I go from hot to cold
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But I'm pretty sure it's doing the same as the driver's side

ok, this sounds like a control panel problem. standby

try the recalibration one more time

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still nothing
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm still getting a hissing noise in my dash every 20 seconds

ok.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Anything else I can do

this is going to take a scan tool to pull the faults out of the hvac control module. I dont want you to replace the control panel and it not be the issue

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think the recalibration worked cause it was at the default 74 degrees when I would turn the car back on if that means anything

and its still not cooling until you go full cold?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yeah no cold air unless I'm driving and on the coldest setting

is the condenser fan behind the radiator coming on as soon as you turn the ac on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yeah

ok. from this point a scan tool is needed, but I am going to open this up to the other techs who may be able to come up with something else to try. good luck

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The hissing noise you're hearing in the dash is refrigerant expanding through the expansion valve and into the evaporator as the compressor engages. This hissing, the short compressor run times and the lack of cooling are being caused by low a/c system charge. The system needs to be evacuated, vacuumed, recharged to the proper level and leak checked.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience