Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2013 optima. It has started making a load clanging

Customer Question

I have a 2013 optima. It has started making a load clanging sound which seems to be coming from the front wheel. The only time is stops is when I put on brakes. There is also a squeaking sound. The dealership just called and said the brake pads were worn down to the rotors. Not only do I now the sound a car makes when the brakes are bad but I just had it inspected 3 weeks ago and there was no mentions of faulty brake pads. I also had new tires put on 2 weeks ago and again no mention of brake pads. They are still checking the car but I don't think this has anything to do with brakes. It sounds like an axle, cv joint and suspension problem. It stops when I put on brakes. I don't presume to know more than a mechanic especially being a woman but I can read.
JA: How old are the rotors? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: They are the same rotors I assume that are the same ones as when the car was new 2013. I bought it last year. There is approximately 54,000 miles on the car.
JA: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No it is at the dealership as noted above.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 month ago.

Hello, Why was inspection done? yearly inspect or did you buy the car recently.