Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Mechanic
Experience:  Fully qualified 20+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have no heat in my car. Temp gauge is normal. There is no

i have no heat in my car. Temp gauge is normal. There is no pressure in the expansion tank when i open it even when engine is very hot. t
JA: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?
Customer: The coolant in the ex. tank was dry i filled it up and squeezed the water pipes in order to expel air This did not work.
JA: What year is your EX?
Customer: The little white tank tank that you top up with coolant
JA: Are you fixing your EX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: filling it up and then squeezing the water pipes with my hand to try and expel air
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is no pressure in the expansion tank even though it is full of coolant

Hi..there..

If the expansion tank is draining or running dry after filling then..you must have a leak somewhere.a coolant pressure on the system would highlight that...However id say the easiest thing to check ideally here is the condition of the expansion tank cap itself,maybe replace it and see if that helps..its cheapest option..maybe it leaking and not holding pressure and allowing the coolant to evaporate...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The expansion tank does not empty immediately, it takes a few days.

Yes..well even if its not empty or is dropping then coolant pressure test would be advisable to rule out any leak..but please ensure the cap isnt at fault..like i say it could be faulty and not allowing the system to hold pressure..there is relief valve on the cap..so if faulty i can cause the coolant to evaporate when hot..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My main concern which you did not address, is the fact that I have no heater working.
The expansion tank has remained full for the last 3 days, but still no heat coming from the heater.

Thats because you need to cover all other logical areas first..you did say you had to fill the tank up did you not? plus you had no pressure..so whats the deal on that? is still occuring or what... Plus have you actually checked the feed and return pipe from the matrix to see if they are both hot or not? if ones hot and the others cold..then you got a blocked matrix..in which case you can try back flushing.