Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2011 Mini S - had a bad head gasket, replaced head gasket,

Customer Question

2011 Mini Cooper S - had a bad head gasket, replaced head gasket, re-assembled and will not start. I have a Snap-On Solus Scanner (full graphical display-relatively new) but it will not clear codes either. No codes related spark or fuel. I bought and used the cam tool to lock the cams in place when removing the head. I had the head decked and re-installed with new gasket and bolts.Car is not getting any spark, no codes for crank sensor or cam sensor are being displayed. I have reset timing several times because I have thought that it could have been off.I'm considering the possibility of there being a bad ground possibly. Can someone please point me in the right direction. ThanksBTW, car sounds like it has compression...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 1 month ago.

Hi welcome to just answers my name is ricardo. are there any codes stored on memory , do you have spark and injection signal?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No spark and judging by the spark plugs no fuel either but this car might cut power to the injectors if it doesn't receive a spark signal I'm not 100% sure on that though
1. Check faults with a factory compatible scan tool.2. Check for power supply to the ignition coils on the Green wire.3. Check the ignition coil unloader relay for proper installation.4. Check the control wire for the relay (from the Junction Box) for ground during cranking.
5. Check connector X11002 pin 3 on the Junction Box for corrosion damage and repair as necessary.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
p16eb, p053a, p0193, p169f, p11a, p064f, p0335. These are the codes that were "pending". checked power to coils, on green wire, read 12v (while cranking it dropped). should I replace the crank sensor? I see 300 or so RPM when crankingwatching live data we saw that the pressure on the fuel pump was over 3000 psi
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 30 days ago.

Good morning sorry for the delay will you like to continue ?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.

Check scan tool Parameter Identification the pressure sensor located on rail. At first start the rail pressure should be about 5 Mpa at a cold idle.
If the pressure reading is high (eg. 25 Mpa) and does not change when the engine speed is changed then measure voltages at the pressure sensor.
Supply voltages at the pressure sensor unplugged: pin 3+ (Blue) to pin 2- (White) = 5 volts. Pin 3+ to ground = 5 volts. Pin 1+ (Yellow) to pin 2- (White) = 5 volts.
Signal voltages at the sensor plugged in: Pin 1+ (Blue) to ground Key On Engine Off (KOEO) = 0.4-0.8 volts, engine idling = 1.5-2.0 volts. Signal voltage increases with engine RPM.
If the voltage values are off, replace the high pressure fuel rail. Note that if fuel injectors are dislodged, the seals and mounting hardware must be replaced or cylinder head damage will occur.
Reset Motronic Control Unit adaptations with the scan tool and then clear the faults before starting the engine.

P0193
Fault text Rail-pressure sensor, electrical: Short circuit to positive
Fault description The diagnosis function monitors the upper voltage limit of the rail-pressure sensor.
Test condition:
The fault is recognized when the voltage of the rail-pressure sensor exceeds 4.5 V.