Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Rover that will shift up but not back down unless you turn…

Customer Question
Rover that will shift...

Rover that will shift up but not back down unless you turn the key off

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes it's drivable but doesn't shift back fao

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Down after driving

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I don't own the car I'm thinking about buying it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes I am

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Car
9/7/2017
Auto Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 9 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:
Check fluid level and color. Make appropriate repairs.
Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if
applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and
this is the easiest way to check them.
Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside
pan. Check valve body and clutches visually.
Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just
were a bit low on fluid.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor