Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

AFter changing clockspring in my 2012 Jeep Liberty the ECS

light comes on. I need...
AFter changing clockspring in my 2012 Jeep Liberty the ECS light comes on. I need to recenter or reset the clockspring. I believe is a matter of key position and turning full lock to lock and back to center but either I am not doing it right or their is some other way of doing it.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: yes its all fully working . No key damage . Have driven it for around an hour or so. In 2wd it tries to engage esp control and then comes up with error. In 4wd auto it pretty much comes up straight away without trying to activate the system.
JA: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes myself. The clockspring had gone faulty and had lighted the Airbag light. This is now fixed but obviously the new part needs some sort of reset after battery was disconnected for 4 hrs or so. Have tried turning on then full lock right , full lock left , then center , key off then on again. Thought also driving steadily for a time may self calibrate but hasn't.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think thats about it . Was fairly straightforward swapping in the new part.
8/21/2017
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. 2.8 or 37 engine

2.8 engine

thank you

Did you do this procedure?

as per the first part of that procedure- The clockspring had a manufcturers plug-in yellow tag installed so that it was centred and I performed the change with wheels straight ahead and din't remove the locking pin till it was all reinstalled and screwed in position.

ok, please standby.

well apparently the light is on due to the installation of the clock spring and the steering angle has been slightly changed. This si going to require a DRB3 scan tool, to re initiate the the steering angle sensor.

Curses. I suspected as much. It didn't seem to be a very accurate system to lock the new one in place during installation but still would only be a few degrees of movement that it could be out . No manual way to reinitialise it at al eh? From what I read online there are only some of the DRB3 scan tools that work with Jeep also so it has to be the right one.

You can try to remove it again and do the entire procedure over. but Im not sure that would help, as far as the DRB'S the dealer will have the correct one.

that was my thought last night too but would likely be very unusual to get it in exactly same position as original but I get the impression that even if i did ,it may not help ...as it probably has somthing more to do with battery disconnection and loss of memory of that position and therefore needs to reinitialise as well. Is there anyway of reading codes on the menu system of the this jeep at all to check this for an error code saying the same I would imagine? (the key dance method or such to see them in the EVIC) ,or is this model one that doesn't support this feature?

let me try to find out on that model

unfortunately there is no self test for this and must be done using a scan tool.

Technology has strangled me eh. Get the mechanicals all done but can't turn on the switch without a computer!
Cheers. You have a good day.

yes sir. electronics, more and more are getting too complicated. please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you are satisfied with my assistance. just remember, by accepting the answer and leaving a rating doesnt mean we are done. im here to help you until the vehicle is fixed. thank you

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

thank you very much

David Craig
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic