Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

My 2005 ES 330 shifts out of "Park" for no apparent reason

My 2005 ES 330...
My 2005 ES 330 shifts out of "Park" for no apparent reason and the car starts to move.........why?
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: The car is a 2005 ES 330 with 67,760 miiles.....we are original owners.
JA: Are you fixing your ES yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No!
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
8/20/2017
Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds to me like the shift cable attached to the shift lever on the transaxle is worn, stretched or otherwise faulty, or, the physical attach point where the cable meets the shift lever is faulty. When any of the above occur, the shifter indicates "park", but the shift LEVER on the transaxle is not fully inserted and held in the park position. Further visual diagnosis would be needed here, but I am reasonable sure you will find the cause of the issue where the shift cable meets the shift lever on the transaxle.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input. Thanks! If you wish to have a live phone conversation with me, I can arrange that for you. Thanks again

Will the Lexus dealership be able to fix the problem? What cost to fix? Should Lexus "pick-up" the bill?

Indeed, a Lexus dealership can rectify this. I would not be inclined to think that Lexus will cover this repair; the vehicle is 12 years old.

If it needs a shift cable, the price should be in the 250-350 dollar range; parts and labor.

Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service