Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

Just did an oil change on me 2017 Honda HRV, I was trying to

Just did an oil change on me 2017 Honda HRV, I was trying to reset the oil life, however, the car will not start or anything. There are no lights coming on all it does it beep at me when I push the start button
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: The car is not doing anything, there is nothing coming on no lights are blinking, nothing.
JA: Are you fixing your HR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes we are doing everything at home. My dad has been working on cars and changing oil for almost 50 years. The oil change part was the easy part, and I went to reset the oil life and discovered that nothing at all will turn on and the car will not start.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is all.

Hi im kevin do you have a voltmeter ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think so. If not is there anything else to try?

First i would check that the battery hasnt drained for some reason .theres not alot you can do wrong changing the oil .check that voltage is good

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, my dad is checking that now!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I now have power. But the car still will not start or anything.

Ok so lights ,radio work ?what is voltage

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The lights around the meters light up and then turn off, and the lights on the inside of the car light up, but that is it nothing else works and the car still won't start.

I believe the battery is low and this is the cause of your issue

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Even though it was working perfectly before the oil change? My car just got purchased in May should my battery already be dead?

It shouldnt be dead was anything left on whilst doing the change .radio ,door open ,keys in ignition ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No nothing was left on, I have a push start there are no keys.

Was fob in car

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok so I got it to start. This is going to be a dumb question, but why would all the doors have to be closed in order for the car to start and to reset it?