Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

My 2001 Aurora will not start. Tried the 30 minute

"relearning" process, held my battery...
My 2001 Aurora will not start. Tried the 30 minute "relearning" process, held my battery cables together for 10 seconds to see if re-setting the security system would help, even had the resistor key in to the locksmith to make sure it was functional. It was starting intermittently for a while and I had the crank trigger replaced and the remote start system pulled which seemed to help for a couple of weeks. With the back seat pulled I hear an audible clicking from the relay/fuse box area. Could a relay be bad? What else should I look for?? These electronics are nightmarish!!
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 190,000 but I just put a brand spanking new GM factory motor in about 12,000 miles ago and she runs like a top!
JA: Are you fixing your Aurora yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not too much aside from the above. A very trustworthy shop pulled the old remote system and replaced the crank trigger. In older cars like my '70 Z28 I'd suspect a bad starter and/or solenoid, maybe wiring? Not sure what to think here.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't really think of anything. I DO have a code reader if that helps.
8/20/2017
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. Is the vehicle cranking at least or doing nothing?

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic
Nothing. I hear an audible clicking both from the dash area AND from the back seat area. I was wondering if there was a relay back there that may be shot. It was starting inconsistently for a couple of weeks, but the starter seemed O.K.
Phone call session started

hows it going?

All the fuses checked out O.K., and then the rain started falling! Unfortunately, she's dead OUTSIDE the garage. Anyway, should I jumper and test if the starter is good??

yes sir. if you pull the starter relay it should be numbered 30. 87. 86. 85. check for 12 vdc in 30 of the plug. if its there then jumper 30 to 87.

O.K., but I'm gonna wait a few for the rain to subside; don't want to soak the fuse box! If the starter spins, what then?

then pull the jumper out, turn the key on and check 86 for 12vdc.

If 86 shows 0vdc what would be the next step? With this lousy weather it might be a while and folks in Pa. gotta sleep sometime!

that would mean you arent getting relay control from the computer.

That doesn't sound good.
Would the entire unit need replacement?

if thats the problem, yes

Letting up a bit; I'm giving it a shot.
Back w/ you in a few.

its almost midnight, Ill check with you in the morning.

Thanks David! 86 showed 12vdc but no starter action with the jumper. Thanks for everything!

you are very welcome.

it sounds like the starter itself then? Even with 12vdc I couldn't get it to turn over. There is a slight buzz or something in the steering column/dash area when I turn the key on. But with everything else checking out, what's your professional take? Thanks again David!

starter my friend

Thanks David!!

you bet

David Craig
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic