Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have a Jeep Wrangler that has not been driven in roughly 3…

Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a Jeep Wrangler that has not been driven in roughly 3 years. The gas that is in it I'm sure is spoiled I probably have about 5 gallons of gas remaining in the car. Would it be best to drain the existing gas for a try to start it or should I fill the gas tank up and put a gas stabilizer like stable or FTP gas treatment?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No it hasn't

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Wrangler?

2004 it has the 4.0 L engine in-line six

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't needed to fix anything I just want to make sure that when I try to restart it it will function correctly

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The car is basically showroom clean

8/19/2017
Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. You are indeed correct. You should remove the old gas from the fuel tank. It is also recommended that you replace the fuel filter. Put in 5 gallons of new fuel and a good fuel injector cleaner. We use a product form the BG Corporation called BG 44-K. This will clean any old gas gummy deposits from the fuel injectors. Once you do these steps your fuel system should be back in normal operating condition. Old/stale gas has a tendency to turn into a 'varnish' like consistency. This can damage the fuel pump, clog the fuel filter and the injectors. Removal of the old fuel as advised and adding new fuel with the injector cleaner product is what we would be doing if you towed this vehicle to our shop.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input. Thanks!

Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service