Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

2000 E320 wagon ( 202000 miles ). Check engine light on, car

2000 E320 wagon ( 202000 miles ). Check engine light on, car drives fine. gas cap seems secure. What could be the problem?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stays on
JA: Are you fixing your E320 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No local mechanic, Have a good general mechanic that serves the car. Does not have all diagnostic tools.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: For a while the light would come off and the all of a sudden would go off. Now the light stays on all the time.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

There are several reasons for the light to come on. About 500 to be exact. If the car is driving normally then that does usually indicate a problem with the evap emissions system. The thing is that system is made up of several parts, so without the stored code it's difficult to know where to begin to look for the problem. The gas cap is a good place to start, but if it's tight then usually one of the other components is causing the problem. Most of the larger parts stores like Autozone will usually check these codes for you at no charge. If you want to go that route and then post the code with me, I could certainly give you more details into the cause of the light. The car is safe to drive as long as it's driving normally.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!