Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

I own a 1999 Buick La Sabre with a 2800 Series II engine.

I own a 1999 Buick La Sabre with a 2800 Series II engine. Recently, the car has started stalling unexpectly while driving. Pushing/pumping the gas pedal does nothing.
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: When I pull over and stop the engine for 20-30 seconds it will restart with some effort. Engine check light sometimes. Stalls while driving and not idleing. Replaced the Air Mass Sensor and checked pressure of the fuel pump. around 45 PSI. Check all wires, etc and cannot find any issues
JA: What is the model of your '99 Buick?
Customer: La Sabre engine 2800 seires II
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Been in the shop and cannot find anything on two occasions. Purchased a code reader so that as soon as something happens, I can read the codes and report them to the service people. Have driven 150 miles trying to get it to stall without success.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When car stalls, it runs real ruff, backfires and has zero power. I then turn off engine, let it sit for 20-30 seconds. Will then start up and run

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Does the weather seem to be a factor when this happens?
Also, you said you have a code reader now, does the check engine light come on when it's happening?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I reside in southern california and the weather only gets hotter. In regards ***** ***** check engine light, it sometimes comes on and other times it doesn't. Since I purchased the code reader, it has not stalled on come on.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have driven it around 100-150 miles on the highway and cannot get it to stall. Last weekend while driving to and from the airport it stalled 5 times.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have also checked the service bulletins and have not found anything but it was a quick review.

Ok, was wondering if rain seems to be a factor, but probably not in So CA lol.

What I think is happening is either the ignition control module is getting hot and shorting out or the crank or cam sensor is failing and causing it to stall. The symptoms you describe seem to indicate a timing type of issue. This points to a probem with the ignition system which means to me a possible ignition module malfunction under the coils. I think I would start with that. It should give a check engine light, with a code that indicates this type of issue, but if not, I would still replace it.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

one other thing I forgot to mention, but these cars shut down if the oil pressure drops. The oil pressure sending unit could be causing this issue as well. I just think because of the way it's sputtering I would go with the ignition module, but keep the oil sending unit in mind as well.

Thank you for the rating!