Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

How much should it cost to have a timing chain kit put on a

How much should it cost to have a timing chain kit put on a 2009 CTS (parts and labor) Car has less than 80,000 mi.
JA: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).
Customer: I just needed as estimate of what it should cost so I can compare it to car value
JA: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).
Customer: That doesn't make sense when I am finding the cost of a kit is around $200 not counting labor?????
JA: How many miles on the car? How responsive has your car been lately?
Customer: less than 80,000 and I had driven the care the day before over 100 miles mostly interstate - no problems
JA: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: car is at dealership
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that when I got in the car to go to MD appointment yesterday...I backed out of my drive, put the car in D and immediately when I began moving I felt a change in the car, the TCS light came on and stayed, the engine power diminished and I got the car back to the house. At one point it picked up power but then dropped again. The car is in excellent condition and I am concerned about repair cost versus value.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Are you looking to timing chain and tensioner replacement parts and labor?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The dealer is telling me I need a timing chain kit and exhaust (cam?) adjustment. The price they are giving me individually seems outrageous for parts and labor.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
continue chat

Okay the kit usually consist of the timing chain and tensioners. I have enclosed the factor parts listing for both in the links below for prices and part numbers.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Tensioner%20Aug%2018.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/chain%20Aug%2018.pdf

Also see the complete labor time standards which wil very depending on your engine size. Have a look and see if this is what your needing .

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Labor%20time%20Aug%2018.pdf

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Be right back - checking those links

Im here if needed,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is the norm for labor/hr at Cadillac dealerships? We have been burnt by a dealer in the past.

Im my area they are getting $125 per flat rate hour and they may very a little in your area depending on there market.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We are in NC - Mooresville
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The parts cost totaled $303.80 on the info you sent me but as I understand from past experience, the dealer makes them up a certain %. What is the norm for that?

Im in Az so to know the rate in NC you are going to need to contact your local Cadillac and ask what the shop rate is. Unfortunately I have no way of knowing that. They will tell you when you call them. The part number and part pricing is there factory pricing and most will mark that up about 25% .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That helps immensely. Did you have an estimate on doing the exhaust cam adjustment.? Oh yes, FYI - the price they just quoted me for the timing chair repair is $2170

The cam adjustment should be included with the timing set repair.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
THEY HAVE GIVEN ME A SEPARATE PRICE FOR THAT. $995

That would appear to me that they are trying to double dip you, anytime the timing set is replace all adjustment should be included .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I address this? I am 67 years old. This happened with another dealership. We are now on a very fixed income (our Soc. Sec. only) as my husband had triple by pass last fall and I had 5 surgeries in 12 months (2013.) Medical bills did us in. At least the car was paid for. What should I do?

I would show then the labor times standard I sent you and ask them why any adjustment are considered a separate repair and then ask them to show you that on the label standard list. Its not there for a reason.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I know what I am talking about - what is the label standard c
ost and is that something I can access online?

What are you referring to when you say labor standard cost?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i meant labor standard list. Sorry.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
again - can't type - too upset - label standard list

I sent that to you , in case you missed that link see it again in the link below These are the labor standard pricing time for this repair.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oh - okay - I do have that. I checked their labor/hour and it is $118.00 I printed off that sheet you referenced me to but it does not cite a reference source and I want to be able to defend my information.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I also see it does not indicate Cadillac CTS which they may address.

Its the industry standard Motor Manuel Labor pricing used by the entire automotive industry. I can not download the complete manual and when you print up the labor time its only shows the hours involved. This is for the CTS and should match any time standards they use as well.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Great - I just needed to have a reference point as I felt the document would be immense. Just so I have this clear in my mind. - The timing chain kit/repair/replacement should include the exhaust cam adjustment and is reflected in the Motor Manuel Labor pricing for time allotted to the repair. So, according to what you have shared with me, the parts should be 4303.80 with a mark up of 25%, totaling $379.75 and the labor (based on their quote of $118.00 an hour) (and using the higher severe service labor time of 9.7) should be $1212.50. Total bill $1592.25 I am not sure I am reading the labor cost correctly - It shows 2009 3.6L primary or secondary (6.9). I assume this is to replace on or the other? Then it says Labor time 9.5 or Severe Service 9.7 (which I assume is bor bothe the primary or secondary?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I meant parts at $303.80 - again can't type

Most shops are going to use the Sever service standard time. Is that what your needing ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That is what I used as I figure they will go with the higher amount. Is my breakdown of the cost and labor accurate? I just want to be sure I am correct with what I am saying to them and can reference it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think I am not clear why the (6.9) follows primary or secondary for the 3.6L. Just want to be sure that labor time is for one or the other and the 9.5/9.7 labor time reflects repairing both primary and secondary?

The only ones that apply to yours is the time for the 3.6.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Correct. The information above is for the 3.6L, the 6.2L has separate info. It is followed by (8.2) and then 11.2 hours to 11.4 hour. I was not using any of that info. So it is written 2009 3.6L, primary or secondary( (6.9). Then it has 2 columns listed - one has 9.5 for labor time and the other has 9.7 for severe service. I used the time of 9.7 thinking that was the labor for both primary and secondary. The (6.9) following primary or secondary is what puzzled me. Does that mean 6.9 hours labor to fix only one or the other, primary or secondary?

The 9.7 is the correct time to do the complete job . I assume the 6.9 would be if you where only doing one or the other and there going to do both so the time you need is the 9.7.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your patience. I think that is all I need unless you can offer any additional advice as I approach this issue with them?

I think we have covered everything that I can think of and your very welcome and I thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I have to come back will it automatically take me to this conversation? Also can I print a transcript of our communication?

Yes you can print all of the this by right clicking on the page and hitting print. If you return to this link we can pick up from there is need be. If you are not sure how to return to this link simply book mark it for future reference.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Great - that is all . I am going to close. Of course you can expect excellent on your survey and I am going to recommend you (-email and FB - I don't use Twitter).

Your very welcome and thank you very much as well .