Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  43 years of automotive repair, Smog license
12365498

I have a 2014 XF and just got a warning message "Tire

I have a 2014 XF and just got a warning message "Tire Pressure System Failure". I assume that it is telling me that the monitoring system has failed for one reason or another. Is that correct?
JA: Are you fixing your XF yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried nothing. My wife just called and is driving the car and of course I am out of town in another state. The car sat in 90's plus heat all day and she has just gone about 5 miles since driving it about 12 hours ago.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: No to both
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: on occasion in the winter, the "low tire pressure" message will come on for one tire or the other, but then corrects itself when the tire warms up.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
What is happening is either a tire pressure sensor(s) in one or more wheel has failed. There is one sensor for each wheel/tire. They have little batteries in them. The batteries can wear out and if that happens, then they stop sending a signal to the tire pressure sensor module.
Have your wife take the vehicle to the dealer or a tire store like Good Year or Les Shwab, or even Sears. They have a device that can test each sensor and replace the one that has fsiled
In rare cases it could be the module, but 9 times out of 10 it is a sensor.
I hope that this information is helpful, and thank you for using just answer!Chris
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That is what I thought it meant. It could be the module since an individual tire was not identified as it usually is. Thanks for the help.

You are very welcome and thank you for the positive rating and bonus!

Chris