Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

My 2006 Hyundai Sonata will not shift out of second gear. I

checked the fluid. There was...
My 2006 Hyundai Sonata will not shift out of second gear. I checked the fluid. There was fluid on top of the engine where the dip stick is. any answers
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: 2006 Hyundai Sonata
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: started yesterday. I brought it home and pared it. I tried again today same thing
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: My check engine light is on all the time. i had it put on a computer it a sensor in te gas
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/17/2017
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did you have the codes re checked recently with this shifting issue now or were they checked before this shifting issue started?

Let me know,thanks Pete

No, I have had the code checked about 7 months ago. They said it was a gasline sensor, that my gas cap was loose
No I dont want a call

No problem on the call.That is an automated offer the web site offers all customers.We can continue here.

Since the codes were not re checked since this issue here has started the first thing that has to be done is to have the codes re checked again.There will be a new code set for this fault here.Most likely this is a shift solenoid at fault not allowing upshifting from second gear as this is most common.Having the codes checked will help to pinpoint the issue.

As for the fluid around the engine where the dip stick is it is possible this is the transmission pressure control solenoid or the transmission fluid pump at fault causing to much pressure blowing back through the dip stick or the transmission vent is plugged.

Most shops or a dealer can check the codes for you as well as diagnose the fault.In allot of cases a local parts store will check the codes free of charge for you.If you can get the code info and post it here this will help just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician
Pete, Technician