nelson freitas
nelson freitas,
Experience:  AutomotiveTechnician at brantford toyota
96947379

We are losing power when going. Had someone take off the cat

We are losing power when going. Had someone take off the cat converter and cleaned it out. DId not resolve. Car will not get over 30 miles per hour. Just recently had an oil change but was a quart low after 900 miles.
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: 2 weeks ago
JA: What year is your 900?
Customer: I have a 2008 Nissan Altima with a 2.5L engine
JA: Are you fixing your 900 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't know what to do now. We are planning to take it to a mechanic and put it on a computer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: We never had a check engine light come on so not sure what the issue is

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name in Nelson, and I have been a licensed automotive technician for over 12 years now and currently working at a Toyota dealership.

I have looked into this problem you are having and I have found that there are a few common problems that can cause this. One is being a clogged catalytic converter, and if you say that it is burning oil at that rate, there is a possibility that the converter is clogged with oil. However any time I have found that to be the problem I have always suggested replacing the converter and also the engine with a used engine with less miles on it. If the car is burning oil at that rate it will continue to clog the converter with oil, and washing out the converter will not help, at least not for very long.

but there are also 2 other very common problems with a loss of power. It is common for the alternator to fail and to begin over charging. If the charging system voltage is above approximately 15 volts the Engine Control Module shuts the throttle down without setting a code

And lastly the 3rd common problem is a failure with the the electronic throttle body, but this however will set codes in the computer and the check engine light should be on.

I hope that I was able to help answer your question. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Also, please don’t forget to rate me*.

If I have not done enough to be given at least a 3 star rating please let me know if there are any further questions or concerns you may have.

(*A positive rating is needed in order for any expert to get paid for their assistance with your problems)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We had a guy who took off the converter and "cleaned it out". I had someone else suggest that a bad coil or bad spark plug could be the cause but I don't see why that would cause the oil use. My daughter told me that the guy she had clean the converter said he put it on a computer and it had no failure codes. However, this car just does not have any power. Another forum suggested something called a throttle actuator. No clue what that is. The MAF was also a possibility. We will check those other things you suggested. Our mechanic guy in my town said he just replaced a 2.5L engine so he has some parts from the old one that we can "borrow" if needed.