Car

I have a 10 day old Mitsubishi Outlander which on the

I have a 10...

I have a 10 day old Mitsubishi Outlander which on the highway clucks when a highway has any kind of bump or unsmooth pavement - very noticeable at 60 mph, but begins sooner.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outlander yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it back to... Read full answer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outlander yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it back to the garage where I purchased it, after informing them about it earlier, . .. we went for a city drive with one person in the backseat and the other driving. .. they could feel it, and checked the air in tires which was higher than should be - - so lowered it to the correct pressure. The next drive was better and acceptable (I was in the front sear). However, on the way home the car at 60 mph was still clucking with each unsmooth area of pavement.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?

The car is 10 days old.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I was going to check the oil today, and probably should have done that before asking my questions..

8/16/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

So lowering the tire pressure only camouflaged the problem which still exists. they need to put it back up on the lift and check the exhaust system real close. there may be a part that was never tightened.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Ron

Hi, I'm here.

Did you have another questions for me?

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

Thanks again, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Phone call session started

Thanks for the call.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander (all wheel drive) jumps from
My 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander (all wheel drive) jumps from 35-45 mph. What could be the problem? … read more
Dealership Technician,
2008 Mazda 3 s 5-door wagon with Touring package. One TPMS
2008 Mazda 3 s 5-door wagon with Touring package. One TPMS sensor valve stem tip broke off in my hand when checking tire pressure. Had it replaced at a shop I've used and trust but it cost over $100. … read more
Chris
Chris
07 Outlander: sell my steel wheels and tires from my 01 GTP
Hello, I have a wheel and tire question. I want to sell my steel wheels and tires from my '01 GTP to someone who is getting a '07 Outlander but I want to make sure they will fit. I had Uplander in my … read more
Doug
Doug
Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
obd shows not ready..o2 sensor..sensor and converter driving miles
obd shows not ready for o2 sensor and converter driving miles does not help had battery changed 3 months ago… read more
BigBob
BigBob
Service Manager,
1992 Mitsubishi: shakes..the brakes at low speeds..bearings
1992 Mitsubishi Mini Van drivers front side periodically shakes when reaching speeds of 40-60 kms per hr and when applying the brakes at low speeds. no problem when highway driving at 100 kms per hr. … read more
car guy
car guy
automotive technician,
2000 Toyota Echo: reliable..inexpensive..carfax..166000 miles, $2800
Looking for a car that's reliable, inexpensive to repair, and a good bargain for the price. Hopefully a model without a history of problems. We are considering a few possibilities, all used, all with … read more
BigBob
BigBob
Service Manager,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
1995 Isuzu Rodeo: driving long distance (400 miles a month..mechanical
Can driving long distance (400 miles a month) add excessive wear and tear to my 1995 Isuzu Rodeo which has 126,000 and is in good mechanical condition.… read more
Elated Technician
Elated Technician
Service Technician,
Associates in Automotive and Diesel
Disconnected battery while changing..compressor..sensors..100 miles
Disconnected battery while changing out A/C compressor. Took car in for state inspection and some sensors showed Not Ready. Tech said to drive it for a 100 miles or so and bring back. Did this and sen… read more
Elated Technician
Elated Technician
Service Technician,
Associates in Automotive and Diesel
1990 mazda 929: My belts broke 1.5 years ago and all three
i Have a 1990 Mazda 929s. My belts broke 1.5 years ago and all three were replaced. I had no problems until about 6 weeks ago I started hearing the rattle that the lose belt makes but I kept putting i… read more
Randall C
Randall C
Auto Technician / Consultant,
2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor: I drives fine..it heats..30-40 miles..shake
I have a 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor. I drives fine when it is cold. When it heats up and I reach a speed between 30-40 miles a hour it begins to shake. Once I reach a higher speed it stops shaking/shudd… read more
ASEtech
ASEtech
2005 Subaru Outback: 000 km..mechanical..tires, top of line Toyo..worn
Driving A 2005 Subaru Outback - 182,000 km. Great car, no mechanical complaints. On 2nd set of tires, top of line Toyo, 2/3's worn. At about 100 km/hr, there is a 'roaring' noise. Could it be tires? I… read more
Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector
Assistant Service Manager,
In course of study for bachelor's d
2002 DTS: odometer..northstar..2000 miles..car runs like a dream.
My 2002 DTS has 81,000+ miles on the odometer. I know that the Northstar engine uses a lot of oil, but lately I have been adding a quart about every 2-3 fill ups instead of a quart about every 2000 mi… read more
Frank
Frank
Stop searching for answers—
2003 mitsubishi outlander: /or vibration (possibly intermittent)
i have a 2003 mitsubishi outlander and it has a Shudder, surge, and/or vibration (possibly intermittent) when driving 35-50 mph at steady throttle. has a tsb #(NNN) NNN-NNNNand what i get is a torque … read more
Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry
Auto Expert on Just Answer,
grand cherokee: recon transfer box fitted..pulling away..60mph..70mph
I had a recon transfer box fitted to my grand cherokee in december 2007. I am now getting a bumping in lower gears when the car is pulling away up to about 60mph. It evens out after this and when you … read more
Donny
Donny
2004 Chrysler: 000 miles..low speed..bumps/rough pavement..Braking
I have a 2004 Chrysler FWD Pacifica with 56,000 miles , I am the original owner. For some time now, I have had a low speed "rumbling " sound that emanates from the front of the car when going over bum… read more
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS
Automotive Repair/Damage Investigator,
Narrowed..my search for a vehicle down to two used cars..reliability
I have narrowed my search for a vehicle down to two used cars. I need an expert to advise me as to which is the better buy. (Please keep in mind that my most important criteria are reliability and lon… read more
Ted G.
Ted G.
ASE Certified Technician,
1996 mercury mystique: rpm guage will fluctuate..stall..I park
when I drive my 1996 mercury mystique on the freeway, it begins to lung into higher speed after about 20 minutes of driving at 55 mph or higher. before that happens the rpm guage will fluctuate. I hav… read more
joseph carrillo
joseph carrillo
automotive drivability tech,
2005 Crown Victoria Police: Interceptor..75 and 105 mph..2005 Ford
What is the maximum speed of a 2004-2005 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (referred to many as CVPIs, P71s) ? How long would it take a 2004-2005 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (referred to many as… read more
Brian
Brian
Automotive Service Consultant/Technician,
Bachelor Degree