Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

I have a 2010 CRV and I took a brief nap at a rest stop. Now

Hello. I have a 2010 CRV and I took a brief nap at a rest stop. Now the car won't start. It has good power, it seems, but the engine won't turn over. Just makes a buzzing sound
JA: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?
Customer: engine doesn't seem to be engaging at all. I can't seee a trouble code but not 100% what that looks like. Check engine light doesn't come on.
JA: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Thr whole panel is blank while I'm trying to turn the key but then seems to be normal when I stop
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: im by myself in a rest area. I haven't done much. I was looking on the internet for advice and found your website tjank you for helping me, also

Hello

if the car isn't cranking / turning over on the starter I'd begin by checking the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

if you have voltmeter then check the battery voltage as it should be at least 12V

there should also be a couple of large fuses mounted on the battery cables so check that these are intact too

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not really able to say for certain if things are correct. Everything looks ok. But I'm no mechanic and don't really know what to look for.

Hello

do you need me to locate a garage in your area?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No thanks. I called Honda directly and they gave me some advice that worked for me. Thank you for following up. Cheers.