Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 1988 Samurai with about 45k miles on it. I was

I have a 1988...

I have a 1988 Samurai with about 45k miles on it. I was wondering if a synthetic blend oil or higher mileage oil would be better for it than standard 5W30

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

Just last month, but it does seem to have a small oil leak. But I would like to know so when I change it again I can optimize the oil.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Samurai yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing it myself. I plan to stea

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. That's about all

8/11/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Synthetic oil is a good choice, I would use the 5w-30 grade oil. You can go longer between oil changes. I only advise using the synthetic if the oil leak is small. Otherwise if you have to add oil before you are due it can become costly. The high mileage oil is good as well, as it has more detergents in it to clean the engine, but honestly since you only have 45k on it, the regular synthetic would be fine. I personally use Mobile 1 synthetic in my Mustang GT with only 45k on it, so really I like the stuff. You can go 5-7k miles between changes without the oil losing it's viscosity.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Thanks. I was thinking that since the leak is small and the car is 30 yrs old, it could be a shrunken seal or something like that. In that case, would a higher mileage oil be useful?

You might try it, I am not sure if there are any additives in it to help with seals. I do know there is more detergent in there for cleaning and honestly, if the leak is really small it's probably not something to worry about. I think I would try something like STP oil treatment to stop the leak first, then use the synthetic. You're choice really if you want to go with the high mileage stuff or not to be 100% honest.

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Thanks. The fact that it sat in a barn for 10 years makes me suspect shrinkage of a seal or something like that. I'll try the STP and synthetic. See how that does. Thank you for your time.

You are very welcome and that seal might even start working over time once it get's some oil into it again.

Thank you for the rating!