Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Just rebuilt the engine on my 91 Montero. Full machine job,

Customer Question

just rebuilt the engine on my 91 Montero. Full machine job, etc. I reassembled, installed, and now can get it to start. Cranks fine, spark at the plugs, new TPS adjusted and tested. I haven't checked the FI system yet. The plugs smell lightly of gas, but no firing up. I even tried 180 on the dist, in case I was 180 out...but, no go. What could've happened between tear down and reinstall? Fuel pump relay? MPI relay?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: zero miles on new motor. Hasn't started since I took the engine out two months ago.
JA: Are you fixing your Montero yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Everything is basically new..I just haven't tested the fuel delivery..I have spark.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Car
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 2 months ago.

The first thing you need to do will be to do a compression test on all of the cylinders.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Uhhh..I might be missing something, as I'm not a professional mechanic... but it was just fully rebuilt with all new everything...machine work done by a very highly regarded performance shop. It hasn't even run yet..

If the timing is off, or the valves are to tight, then the comp test will tell me what is going on. With it being a new rebuild, this is the first step in finding out why it will not start. You said there was fuel on the plugs, and it had spark, so compression is the next thing to check.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ahhh...makes sense. Thanks for explaining. I'll do a comp test tomorrow evening after work. Thank you.

You are very welcome. Make sure to wright down the test results for each cylinder and post them please so I can see what is going on.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will do. Thanks!

Chat with you tomorrow.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, sorry it took a while...I got 160 across the board for compression
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oh, also,when I pulled the plugs out, they appeared to be a bit sooty...they're brand new plugs and the truck hasn't started yet...strange? Timing way off? I'll try to add a pic.

Cylinder 4 is the only cylinder that is hitting correctly. All the other plugs are running to rich. I would have expected to see a comp test reading g of better then 180 on each cylinder. I believe that you need to go back and double check the cam timing. You may be a tooth or two off.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Even at only 8.8:1 or so? Plus the engine hasn't run and rings aren't seated or anything...i don't know, though..I thought 150-160 cold like that would be pretty good. And, I may have the dist in wrong. I read a thread that shows the montero is different than 'normal'. I'll look into it tonight and see if that's all it was...fingers crossed!

A fresh engine can be a little bit hard to get started, but the compression should be higher on a new never started engine than one that has run for a few thousand miles.