Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

We have a 2001 camry and it needs to have a smog check this

Customer Question

we have a 2001 camry and it needs to have a smog check this year.now the first problem is it gives a engine code po440. can you tell us what that code means exactly? and secondly , trying to reset computer, 6 are ready and 2 are not. the 2 are catalytic , and evap and they wont seem to reset. we drove the car already 100 miles on the freeway.
Category: Car
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 2 months ago.

What size engine is in your car?

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. Are you being helped or still need assistance?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
well kalamykid asked me what size engine and i have not heard anything from him again. i think it would be great if you would help me. thank you.

I am still waiting on you to tell me what size engine you have in your car so I can make sure I am looking up the correct data for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i did. i wrote that it is a 4 cyl. 2.3

I am sorry I did not get that information. Let me opt out and you can work with another expert.

Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, P0440 is the evap system control system fault and can be caused by many different things as described in the attachment i sent. it is also the reason why the evap and catalyst monitors arent in the ready status.

do you need further assistance?