Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2009 sonata 2.4l, 114,000 miles.About 1000 miles ago the

Customer Question
fuel gauge started to fluctuate...
2009 sonata 2.4l, 114,000 miles.About 1000 miles ago the fuel gauge started to fluctuate when the needle was at about 1/4 full. They said it was a bad pump/sending unit,had it replaced. Same thing happened with new pump,they put another new pump in, said first one could be defected.I am having the same problem after the second one was installed.Any idea what the problem might be,right now I am out $850.00.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: no
JA: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: went to an indepent mechanic,I have not tried anything
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Car
8/7/2017
Auto Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 3 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. Does the fuel gauge only do it at 1/4 tank?

It seems to start acting once it goes below 1/2 mark
do not call

dont worry, im not calling. do you have a volt meter?

no

we need to check the wiring to the sending unit for high resistance. so unless you have one theres nothing we can do.

They checked every thing else and said it was the fuel pump/sending unit. I will let them know what you said. Thank You

apparently they didnt check everything else if the problem is still there. they need to check the wiring.

please let me know what they come up with

I will let them know. Thank You ,Dave

you're welcome. wish I could be more help, but when it comes to wiring, I need to be there.

Dave. this is Ron, gas guage

the gauge?

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician