Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2003 town and country. I am on a road trip and the…

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 town and country. I am on a road trip and the engine started knocking. I just got an oil change, it is not leaking, and the oil level is full. It knocks when the car is idle and when you accelerate. Ihave driven it about 400 miles in the past two days with no problem or strange sounds.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

I have not.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

I havenot trying to diagnose before a mechanic gets here in the mourning

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Car
8/6/2017
Auto Mechanic: Ryan-CTech, Auto Service Technician replied 11 months ago
Ryan-CTech
Ryan-CTech, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Technical-minded multi-skilled auto mechanic with over 10 years’ experience in all aspects of repairing, maintaining and servicing a diverse range of automobiles.

Hi there :) Sorry to hear your van started knocking :( I have a few questions to help narrow down the problem.

Does the knock get worse the more you accelerate?
Does it sound Higher in the engine or low like near the oil pan?

Is it a "bang bang" or "tick tick"?

It gets worse with acceleration. Sound is high in engine. Tick tick sound
High up in the engine is a good thing it could possibly be a stuck lifter. You can try an over-the-counter fix just to see if it makes it any better I recommend putting in one quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. Sometimes after an oil change extra sludge and Gunk can pump up into the engine causing a lifter to stick shut this causes it to not receive any oil thus not expanding.
If the ticking noise goes away after adding the Marvel Mystery Oil your problem is solved simply change your oil and filter again and your done. If after about 30 or 40 miles the noise does not go away you will be looking at replacing the lifters. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have on this subject. If you are happy with the answer I have given kindly give me a positive rating as it helps me as an expert.

How are things going :)