Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2002 Land Rover has trouble starting sometimes and stops…

Customer Question
2002 Land Rover has...

2002 Land Rover has trouble starting sometimes and stops sometimes while driving. Daughters car so going by her feedback. Think it may be fuel filter as no problems with electrics. From what I have seen filter is in tank so could be a nightmare. Other thing could be injectors.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Not sure re gas hog but has trouble starting sometimes.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Land Rover?

Will check.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Noting yet, just going through possibilities. It starts when we spray in engine start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't know the exact model.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Car
8/4/2017
Auto Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, ASE Master Certified Tech replied 8 months ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, ASE Master Certified Tech

Hi welcome to just answers my name is ***** ***** the engine starts with starting fluid then the problem is fuel delivery, i am not sure of your skill level as a technician but this is what needs to be done before replacing the fuel pump. Check the White/Purple (WP) wire at the fuel pump. This is the power side from the fuel pump relay. If power is constant and the Black wire has a good ground, then the pump is bad.

2. If losing power to pump, check for continuity from pin 87 in relay base to the back of the relay/fuse box, connector C0578 pin 4 and to the WP wire at pump.

3. Check for continuity from pin 86 in relay base to the back of the relay box connector C0573 pin 9 and to Engine Control Module (ECM) pin 18 of connector C0635, Blue/Purple (UP) wire. This is the wire that the ECM grounds to activate the relay.

4. Internal fuse/relay box failures are not uncommon.

Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, ASE Master Certified Tech