Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Are just about all auto ignition coils (1970s, 1980s) the…

Customer Question
Greetings - are just...

Greetings - are just about all auto ignition coils (1970s, 1980s) the same? Can I use any old 12v coil for my car? My car has a Ducillier coil, which seems to be very expensive. Would any 12v coil work? Thanks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery lately?

It is definitely the coil.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

You really don't want to know, but it is a '78 Peugeot 104. I live in France.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, myself. When I ground the fat coil wire to the engine and crank, no spark jumps.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

And when I use a test light on the points side of the coil, it lights for two or three revolutions and then quits.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Car
8/3/2017
Auto Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 6 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

You cannot use just any coil. You will need a coil that has these specifications. You can purchase any coil that has these resistances.

Primary resistance .33 to .46 ohms

Secondary resistance 7,000 to 12,000 ohms

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"

Jaybird61
Jaybird61