Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2004 Jaguar X-type sedan. automatic transmission. Driving on…

Customer Question
2004 Jaguar X-type sedan...

2004 Jaguar X-type sedan. automatic transmission. Driving on highway, approaching a red light, light turns green before a full stop, step on gas, vehicle shuts down and won't restart without a cool down period. I believe the transmission light comes on as well. (stepson's car)

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the transmission fluid?

I believe that was attempted. something about a sealed transmission?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X-Type yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just started happening. we were trying to determine if it was a recurring thing or a fluke. looks like we'll have to find a mechanic or take to dealership?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's it, thank you!

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Car
8/3/2017
Auto Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, ASE Master Certified Tech replied 8 months ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, ASE Master Certified Tech

Hi welcome to just answers my name is ***** ***** the engine light turns on on the dash board before or after stalls?

this problem is not transmission related, if the engine has problems starting after it stalls is possible you may have a bad knock sensor, fuel pump or crank sensor. Does the engine bogs down before it stalls or it just turns off like turning ignition key to off.

i think i may have described the problem incorrectly. i think the car will restart but it won't go into gear.

OK give me one minute .

thank you

does the engine rpm goes hi if you step on the gas but the transmission wont move?

is the red gear light on and service engine light also?

let me see if i can verify any of that. one minute please. :)

take your time .

i can't reach my stepson but i believe the answer is yes to revving but not moving. as far as the lights, i'm pretty sure he said the transmission light comes on but i'm not sure about the service engine light. he didn't mention that that i remember

OK if the red gear light turn on then yes this is a transmission problem that may have to do with the torque converter lock up solenoid but to be more sure he will need to drop by any repair shop that has a computer scanner and access access the codes stored on the transmission controller this codes will give an idea where the problem is

thank you Ricardo, i really appreciate your help with this.

this can also be do to low level but for the transmission to be low it would show an oil leak , have you seen any oil leaks on the undercarriage

have your son go to a regular shop and get a list of the codes stored and let me know what they are and at the same time see if any leaks from the transmission are present.

we haven't noticed any but will definitely get it to somone to get it checked out. he just bought it about 2 months ago so we don't have anyone established yet to work on it.
oh, ok, thanks Ricardo, that would be a big help

thank you

thanks again for your help!!

no problem.

Hi do you still need any more help? don't forget to rate my answer thank you.

Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, ASE Master Certified Tech