Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2001 Toyota corolla sport,stick.Sometimes after shifting…

Customer Question
2001 Toyota corolla sport,stick.Sometimes...

2001 Toyota corolla sport,stick.Sometimes after shifting gears motor races,and will not build up speed on freeway.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Original transmission,clutch replaced with engine at 120,000 miles.Have not checked brake switch.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?

I bought it used in 2009,have driven it ever since.Do not do repairs,I am old lady,but want ideas before I take in to mechcanic..

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Car
7/29/2017
Auto Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required

I would take it to the local auto parts store to see if they can scan it for any codes, they will do this for free, it might give us some direction to whats wrong with the vehicle

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My mechanic will do that,I just want an idea what could be the problem.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The tachometer sometimes goes above 4,which I understand it is not supposed to.

sounds like a speed sensor going bad telling the ecm the wrong information, you also could have a idle air control valve going bad as well, maybe need to clean the throttle body out. let me know if you have any other questions