mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

I have a 1991 Spider that had a low brake fluid reservoir

Customer Question

I have a 1991 Spider that had a low brake fluid reservoir after we reinstalled the transmission and clutch slave. I filled the reservoir, drove about 9 miles, got smog tested, drove a bit more and suddenly I could hear clicking, like something rotating, if I pressed on the brake pedal, especially loud when stopped. Drove home using minimal brakes, lived hood and found brake fluid reservoir drained in forward section, some left in back bowl. Put car in garage and afraid to drive. Any idea what is happening. Brakes still worked, but.....
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No to both questions.
JA: Are you fixing your Spider yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. My nephew rebuilt it and has done most work. He suspects master cylinder somehow leaking into brake booster.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Nothing I can think of.
Category: Car
Expert:  mike switzer replied 2 months ago.

that is possible for the fluid to leak into the booster. do you see or can you feel and fluis at the bottom of it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can't tell. There is dirt adhered to the bottom of the brake booster, but I haven't driven the car in three months about.
Possible it is leaking, how does it get into the booster? From the master cylinder?

there is a seal at the back of the master cylinder that the push rod goes through. and if the seal breaks then it will get to the booster. but if the rear reservoir is empty and you see no fluid near the rear wheels then it is most likely draining into the booster.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. Sounds like the seals are the problem.

not a problem if you have moment to leave a rating it would be appreciated.