Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Not sure... 2013 370z 24,000mi, Stalled at intersection.

Customer Question
Scanned and P0340 code. Replaced...
Not sure... 2013 370z 24,000mi, Stalled at intersection. Scanned and P0340 code. Replaced both cams and crank sensors. Checked wiring back to ECM, good continuity and good voltage feeds to all sensors. Grounds good. Sensor phase (orange wire) good. Car will (hard) start IF bank one sensor is unplugged, will not start with both cams plugged in.. Both banks are getting 5.4 volts to sensors power wire.
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: It jerks If over 20mph
JA: Are you fixing your 370Z yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My husband is working on it... He's a master machinist and mechanic.. He's done everything listed above
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Let me ask him
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Car
7/22/2017
Auto Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

Did he replace the sensors with nissan sensors?

Auto Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 4 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David Ive attached the diagnostics for this code, Im sure he's done some of it but have him follow thorugh with as much as he can. I will turn this back over to Shawn now

sir they are Nissan
Is it possible that the ECM is bad? How can we test it?

That is possible, but before we check all of that, are you getting any return codes after the sensor install?

same code as before install

1. Manually ground the Oil Control Solenoids for bank 1 and 2, then compare the amount of change that each cam can make. Ground the White wire for bank 1, Green for bank 2. If they both change the same amount, the intake cam gears are mechanically moving full range. Expect about 60° of change.

2. Check engine compression side to side. If the compression is the same, it is likely that the engine is in time correctly.

3. Check the intake cam gear teeth for the CMP sensor, compare against a known good picture. These teeth are pressed into the gear and tend to move retarded over time. It seems like they stop at -18° usually.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician