Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Loud whining sound, 2014 soul, I just bought it, Is this…

Loud whining sound Mechanic's...

Loud whining sound

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2014 soul

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Soul yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just bought it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is this typical?

7/17/2017
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Can you tell me where the sound seems to be coming from? From the wheels while driving? From the engine compartment?

Might be wheels while driving

Ok. Great. And does the whining sound tend to change pitch with the faster/slower you go? Does the noise tend to get louder when you turn one way or the other?

As I hit 40 mph it whirs. It appears to be in synch with acceleration. Does not make sound while parked or increasing gas in neutral

Great! Thank you! Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

Ok, first let me start with- a loud whining noise is not normal for this year vehicle. From what you are describing here, it there are a couple of things to look into. First would be the Wheel Bearings. You can do a preliminary check on this by raising a wheel off the ground and grabbing the tire and 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and try to shake it in and out. Do the same for 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. Any movement here is a sign of a worn wheel bearing. If the preliminary check shows no movement, the vehicle should be put on a lift and checked "in real time". If the wheel bearings check good, then the problem may lie in the transmission. But again, not a normal sound for this vehicle. Might be a good idea to have it serviced as to prevent any further damage. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

..

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

I'm done I have to fight with dealer now thanks

..

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some help today! Please remember to leave a rating for our Q&A using the stars at the top of the page! Have a great day!

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -